Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Ok...my celica has started using some oil...more than I like...and i'm sick of it being slow...I have a 97 Celica ST...i know the st is the slower model...but it is a sweet looking car...anyway...I would love to do the 3sgte swap in the celica...anyone have an idea of a price range this might cost...and how difficult it might be?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>u would deffinent need the front clip off a 6th generation alltrac the price of that alone is gonna be around 3k maybe a little more, then all thats left to pay is labor figure if ur not doing it urself thats gonna be around another 1k-2k with the clip it wont be that hard i would reccommend doing it urself if u have any knoledge</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>so there's no way to do it wihtout purchasing the whole front clip? I have been told the engine will fit in what i have now...it would just have to be tilted...so i'd love to get by without having to clip the car if possible</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the reason the whole front clip of a st205 is recommended is because it contains everything you need.  wires, engine, mounts, chip, turbo, intercooler, turbo headers, etc.  if you purchase just the 3sgte engine there's a chance you'll have to go through the trouble of purchasing additional parts.

you'll also need a new tranny, the st transmission won't do for the 3sgte.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>Where's the best kind of place to check for the front clip at?!</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000000'>OK, I've been doing lots of reasearch. I have dibs on a few of these clips...and actually I won't even mention the ones I have dibs on....but there are some others I'll give you. Still nice, but I just know the people that have a couple other ones and they will give me a deal. I want em so I ain't givin em away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....0458597
**This auction ended, but it dind't sell. He'll sell it for 2500 or a bit lower if you email the guy I'm sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....1461150
**Looks super fakking clean! I might pick up on this one. Only drawback is no ECU.

Now some of this stuff you will need the wiring harnesses, ECU, etc. for. I have a few other resources too...

-- jhull! He knows about this stuff!

-- http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/3sgteswap.htm

That gave me a real breakdown. On top of all of that, I still need to switch my car to manual. I'm planning on saving like 7g's and do the manual/3sgte swap all at the same time. I hope all of this crap helps.

[email protected] if you have any more questions.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>man if u dont do the clip then do a engine management system cause the wiring is not easy, the engine mangement system will get rid of most of the sensor that u would need to buy, with the engine u will need the harness, ecu, motor mounts, tranny, axles and i think thats it, if u dont do the clip or the engine management u will also need the intercooler, if it dont come with it.. blow off valve, all the intake piping, mass air meter, ignitor box, and a lot of time and wiring diagrams.. oh yeah u also need a fuel pump</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font color='#000000'>I got a price today from a local custom shop...they will do it parts and everything for 3600 dollars...i didnt' think that was a bad price so i think the 3sgte is mine before long...probably with the tax refund next year!</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>damn man that aint a bad price at all, thats a little more then the price of a 6th generation all trac clip.. does this shop know what they are getting into make sure u dont drop it off at a shop that will fail the swap.. happy to hear another member might have a fast celica. especially a 6th generation</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
<font color='#000000'>There is a local shop here in LA that said that they could do the manul/3s-gte swap for my 6th gen GT automatic  for $4k or less and that was including the front clip. I know that they can do this well because the guy that I talked to had his MR2 done with the 3s-gte and has had others do there celicas.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font color='#000000'>This custom shop has been in business for around 4 years now...never heard anything bad come out of the place. So now i'm faced with the dilema...fast car...or nice car...LOL! I can get a kit, wing, and wheels for the same price as the swap....we'll see! I am thinkin i want them all</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I went through that same delema. I ended up going for the swap because the car looks really nice in the first place. It might not look like something that you might try to enter into being used for the fast and the furious, but it still looks nice. I also just that about how cool it would be to pull up to some civic and have that fat blow-off valve go off. So that is way I am going to do the swap first. I still plan on doing a kit and a wing, but that can wait in my book.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<font color='#000000'>I have no idea what ill end up doing...i guess I'll decide when I get the money in hand...i've been comparing prices and such....so I got everything i need...just gotta decide where to fork the money out!</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts