Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>...what else I would need to do the swap.  I already have the engine, turbo, wiring harness, and the ecu.  Is that all I need?  Also, if anyone has any advice please add.  Thanks.

Cody</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
<font color='#000000'>uhhhh.  First of all who is doing the swap.  I have 1992 Gt and just had a swap done this last week.  I only swaped my 5sfe with 160K miles for a JDM 5sfe with 40K miles.  I talked around and that swap had to be year for year.  I couldn't put anything but a 92 5SFE in my car unless I wanted to shell out $ for all new sensors and ECU.  I also mentioned the swap you want to do and almost every shop would not do it.  

That swap is not a grand idea.  Not only do you need a new ECU you going to need all new sensors, mounts, trani, a drive trane ajustment, a innercooler, new radiator, new accesories(manifolds, and thermo, water pump, ect)  and a short laundry list of other things that dont spring to mind.  

I hate to say that and rain on your perade but that is a insanly expensive swap and sure as hell is not a at home thing, unless you are a mechanic but then why would i be posting this.  But It can work.  Uh yeah so thats my opinion but best of luck.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>he is right u still need a hole hella lot, first off the basics u need the intercooler, u could use the 5sfe tranny but u will need a new clutch. motor mounts are the same between the 5sfe and 3sgte so u can swap them. im assuming u have the exhast manifold. u need all the intake piping done, and the exhast has to be done. now for the electronics. u could do one of two things, attempt to put in the 3sgte harness and rewire that harness to the exsisting harness in the car, which the color codes are all different, the fuse box is different ect... the if u go this route, u still need a mass air meter, ignitor, and some other small little sensors, and a lot of time. which if ur paying to have it done thats gonna be a lot of money. or u could go another route the same route i went. buy a enigne management or a advanced piggy back system which im putting on group buy today. take the original harness apart all the wires that go from the ecu to the engine take out. reloom the harness and put it back in the car i ran mine across the firewall behind the enigne. that will allow all the stuff in the car to work without rewiring anything. then take the 3sgte harness and take out all the wires that dont go to the ecu, or a sensor. u can run that with the other harness but u might need to lengthen some of the wires, again re loom the harness. and trace all the wires from the one side to the other with a contitnuty tester. and mark all the wires on the inside to where they go. wire in a stand alone or a piggy back system. now u dont need the ignitor, or mass air meter. but u will need a map sensor. which depending on which system u get it might provide that. with this option u will also need a boost controller. and aftermarket tach, the one in the gauge cluster can be wired to a aftermarket ecu but its difficult. tune the maps and ur ready to go. this option will also allow u to boost more then the stock ecu will allow, and u can do what ever u want to the car without a problem. (swap sensors, injectors, anything) u can email me for anyother info u might need at [email protected]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts