Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I know the 3sgte with slide in the 88 Celica GT.  Besides turb/IC piping what do you need to worry about when doing the swap?  I ask this cause the 2 motors have a little diff Ignition wiring, which should be easy to figure out, but I want to know if there is anything else to worry about.  What ECU would you want to use?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>u would have to use the 3sgte ecu. besides the engine u would also need the map sensor, ignitor, harness, intercooler, all of the sensors on the engine, distributor, and i would really look into a fuel pump. does ur car have a fuel return line? i think it does, but if it doesnt u will have to have that done also. and dont forget the exhast and intake would be needed..</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>How much did you end up spending just for the parts needed for the swap (not including pistins, etc.)?  Would it be better to swap in the 3SGE with some good mods, to save time, or would I spend the same time installing a TVIS setup as I would the 3SGTE.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>well the 3sge and 3sgte are exactly the same engine besides the compression ratio, the 3sgte has 440cc injectors vs 330cc on the 3sge and the turbo on the gte. i would say the 3sgte would take a little more time maybe a few more hours just because of the turbo u need to hook up a few more intake pipes, and have the downpipe matched to it, but u would still need the exhast to meet on the 3sge engine. but in all reality when u start the swap you will realize it aint worth doing it for 30 hp. it is a little difficult its easy to put the engine in, but hard to wire it. so if u do go for it, i would deffiently go with the 3sgte, the place local to me sells the complete 3sgte with harness, turbo and intercooler for 1900. but i dont think they include the ecu. and i know they dont include the ignitor, and mass air meter, which are needed. if u bought them new u are looking to spend another 5-600 so that will bring the total up to around 2500. thats why i always tell people to go the other route and either get the hole clip, but u have a 4th gen. so i dont think that would be really possible for u. so then go this route, get the engine off ebay they sell them as low as 1300 i think, then i can get u a stand alone engine management i have one that goes for around 700 and another one with more outputs and air temp sensor that i think is around 1000 then all u need is a crank trigger around 60 bucks, and a magnetic pickup around 60 bucks have a machine shop mount the trigger for around 100, get some coil packs take out the distributer sell that mofo cause it aint needed anymore...  and use ur harness in the car right now to power the car, and the harness that comes with the stand alone to work the engine. its so much easier to keep ur harness that came in the car cause then everything in the car works right. that brings the total up to around 2500 and u have a stand alone engine management. so u can get some more hp outta the engine
</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts