• Exaust

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 celica gts is at about 160k miles. I just replaced the clutch and it made me realize there probably isn't much life left on the engine as well. I want to convert it to an AWD but I think I'll wait until the engine goes out since I'll have to do an engine swap anyway. (Or at least to my understanding that's what I'll have to do.) I am not very mechanically inclined but plan on doing this myself with my girlfriends dad or some of my friends. From my understanding I'll have to do an engine swap and get a new drive line or something like that. Has anyone done this? If so what'd you do and how much did it cost, also how many hours did you log on it? I'm just trying to get my foot in the door here. Doing a little research before I get too deep into it. Thanks

Here's a picture of my Celica. Picked it up for a steal since the clutch was out. I have a lot of plans for this rig but since I'm in the northwest AWD is a necessity.
Mine.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
if you have a lot of money laying around and another car go for it. but the amount of parts and time and money you put into this you'll be better off buying another car that would even be better.

not trying to ruin your dream but you'll need intense amount of engine/drivetrain knowledge and fabrication skills which is something you don't have so you would need to have a specialty shop do which will run up a lot of money and in the end would not be worth it.

only car that has this set up and its the fensport celica. they have a site for it. you can see how much time and money would go into it even though they made theirs a race car.

if you want an awd car buy an awd car. its not worth your money to convert it.

hope that helps and good luck with the car!

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Oh boy,

Hey brother. You need to seriously read garrison's post. and I mean like 4-5 times. Because he is absolutely right.

First off you need a new car. A project like this (from someone who IS mechanically smart) would take around a year to complete. Also it may seem simple like just a new engine and drive train, but no... you'll need a ton more that will end up costing you close to 20 grand (in most cases)..

Think about it... you can spend well over 20 grand on your car to do a ridiculously difficult mod that you will most likely fail (no offence). Or you could take that 20 grand, sell your celica and buy a used supra thats modified, etc. that would blow away any AWD celica.

If you really want a serious performance increase that is possible, then it would be to turbo. Only thing with that is, it is still going to be difficult and will end up costing you roughly 8 grand to do it right.

Cars are expensive... who would of thunk?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys i really do appreciate it. I was hoping it would be simple and somewhat cheap (like less then 5k) but it seems like it wouldnt be worth it at all. Its too bad, I love celicas. I wish there were an easy way to do the swap. Oh well. I'll just fix her up still! just unfortunate during the winter. Looks like I'll be keeping my truck hahah

·
Super Moderator
2,816 Posts
Fwd is amazing in the winter. Awd going uphill will still make you fishtail a little. Only a little. We had a sudden burst of snow a few weeks back. I had baldish front tires but I still pulled a crown Vic up my hill. We had gotten about 8 inches of fresh snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After hours upon hours of digging through C3g and 2Gstrat for some posts on the AWD I have just a few questions to get us started off. Its time to get some AWD v6's out there. Most of the posts I found were by Greg (Pharmecis) and facts are from mitsubishi so I know its reputable info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey anyone still active in this thread years later and parts are now mad cheap looking for abit if insight if anyone here can answer a few questions that would be awesome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts