Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Yesterday I was at a light with an RX-8.  He gave a little nod and gave it a little gas, so I said F*ck it and went for it.  I missed my shift to second and still kept up with him no problem.  The guy must not be able to drive that rotary engine like it should be driven.  If I'm not mistaken the rx-8 has 250+ hp.  Anyway, it gave me a boost of confidence in my car.  I just got it last weekend, so i was hyped!</font>

·
Registered
760 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>Those things are reasonably nice, my friend just got one, its auto so i can whoop on him like nobody's business lol. But when he gets that thing up to speed, there isnt any catchin him. If he had gotten the manual on the other hand, he would have smashed me like i was riding a tricycle. Also, my other friend got a 93 RX-7, that thing is too fast, i cant wait til we go up to sac again to go test it on the track, im gonna try and see if i can beg my friend to let me use his GTI and see if i can even touch the RX-7. Doubt it tho, the GTI is a big bulbous thing, while the 7 is just low and aerodynamic as hell.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Welcome to the site Haggard!  Congrats on the celi and whooping the RX-8!!! Maybe it was an auto since you whooped him pretty good, or he didn't know how to drive like sh!t.  You must be loving lift

Also, MAD props on getting a stick... poor me has an auto
</font>

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>thanks.....
i actually talked to the guy in the rx-8 the other day and yes, it is an automatic and he readily admitted to getting beat....nothing like an esteem boost, huh?  i have a question, what does everyone's gt-s idle at?  mines idling at 900 rpm and it feels like it lags a little off the start so im wondering if I may be able to bump the idle speed up to about 1400 or a little less and it'll respond better.  anyone know anything about this?</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Yeah 900 is about right for idle.  Mine idles at 900 usually but at like 1300 when the ac is on... but that's normal too.  I try to just keep the windows down and the power going to the tranny
 The 7th gens are notorious for that lag, it's worse in the autos.  I am looking into getting my timing adjusted too, but it'll be a while, I'll  let you know if I find anything out, and feel free to let us know if you learn anything too
</font>

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>I talked to my buddy's dad yesterday, a very knowledgable mechanic, and he told me that my tach was actually off by about 500 rpm....which means when my tach is showing 900, its actually idling at about 400-450.  I'm just gunna have to buy a repair manual and see what i can come up with.</font>

·
Registered
412 Posts
5th gen is still better

hey ya'll on moms comp my modem blew and her comp sux i will be back as soon as i can get the money to buy a new modem... and other things...

·
Registered
760 Posts
5th gen power!!!! lol

Yea, yea, i know yall like ur other generations, but us fifth geners are just as faithful to our cars as you are to yours so

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by Ralph96gt@Jun 16 2004, 03:11 PM
well the auto rx8 has less horses than the stick
aye, 197bhp in the automatic, 238bhp in manual.

earlier mazda accidentally released the japanese engine specs to us buyers and had to restate last year the real horsepower. they offered to buy the car back from buyers who thought they had a car with the specs on the japanese version, in addition to free maintenance during the warranty period and $500 in credit for gas.

but haggard you're right, the jdm rx8 has 245hp. yeah... given the lightness of the rotary and that much power, i don't think you would have kept up so well to a jdm
but congrats anyway

·
Registered
412 Posts
exactly no extra boost to get up there like a neon needs to win races

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
back to ideling, my car is SO f*cked up right now... it idles at 2,000 rpms!!! heh. yeah I know, I'm getting it fixed though. New head with a port and polish.

·
Registered
412 Posts
sry if you cant handle the truth

·
Registered
412 Posts
lol did i ever say they were fast, ??? lol dont worry we know who will win

1 - 20 of 20 Posts