Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7th gen 2000 Celica and my handbrake does not lock up at all. even when I am on flat ground, I put up the handbrake in drive and as soon as I take my foot off the brake it moves forward. Sometimes when I put it up it somewhat holds but it makes a creaking sound towards the back of the car. I thought that my handbrake would be going too high but when I adjusted the nut in the center console for the handbrake yet it still doesn't lock. Does anyone know what I can do?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Article Print (celicatech.com)
Two things come to mind. Are your rear brake pads/shoes worn? If they are worn down then your parking brake will not have enough tension to hold.
The brake cable might be stretched and would need replacement.
How many clicks are felt/heard when you put on the brake. Usually 3 to 4 notches are normal, If you maxed the pull on the lever than I would think it's one of the above.
Having a hard time pasting a link but if you go the the celicatech.com and search parking brake you will find some useful articles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Article Print (celicatech.com)
Two things come to mind. Are your rear brake pads/shoes worn? If they are worn down then your parking brake will not have enough tension to hold.
The brake cable might be stretched and would need replacement.
How many clicks are felt/heard when you put on the brake. Usually 3 to 4 notches are normal, If you maxed the pull on the lever than I would think it's one of the above.
Having a hard time pasting a link but if you go the the celicatech.com and search parking brake you will find some useful articles.
I would have to check on the wear tomorrow, before I tightened the nut, it was around almost even id say 15-16? But I think now it is around 9-10. Should I tighten it more?

·
Registered
257 Posts
On my '91 GT with drum rear brakes the lever recommendation in the factory manual is 3 - 4 clicks. I would suggest it's time to replace the shoes. If you do that you might have to re-adjust your lever again and loosen it up.
Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts