Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found a 1st gen liftback for sale for a decent price but there are (of course) a few drawbacks:
1. There is rust visible in every photo with no shots of the underside or engine bay
2. The paint looks like krylon but it at least looks uniform
3. Listing includes an entire spare drive train and rear door
4. The hood and driver side floor pan interior is rotted and both front seats are moderately ripped up.
5. It runs but doesn't drive, maybe just enough to be put on a trailer

I know with enough money and patience it can be fixed up but my question is how bad can the rust get? Would this turn into a 5+ year project for me to get it back into good shape? Do you think it would be worth or do you think it would rust from the inside out by the time I could get to it?

I won't post the photos because I know how quickly these can sell so if you can just consider what I've listed I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Worth it if it's free. Walk away. Rust can never be "repaired" you'd have to replace the sheet metal. With no underneath pics. I had an old Ford Maverick that looked great but the doors stuck because of the unibody underside was so rusted it was actually buckling. Sounds like a money pit but if you have talent and time and cash go for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts