Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a 1992 Celica (5SFE) Speed sensor cable. It’s discontinued according to Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the cable from Amazon. It’s the second piece that goes to transmission speed sensor. Now the speedometer works, but the rpm meter still doesn’t. I am assuming that the electronic box on sensor is fried. The cable ends looked like the wires had shorted out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is the speedometer cable. (There are 2 different lengths for cars with or without cruise control. Do you have cruise?

The rpm dial is a tachometer. It receives an electronic signal from the distributor. There are 2 capacitors on the back of the dash module that are prone to failure. Plenty of posts on how to repair (solder work)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The speed sensor on mine looks like the attached photo. I only found it online accidentally, because it only shows up in mr2 models. There is an electronic attachment on the sensor, which begs the question as to what it’s for if the cable is what activates the speedometer? I think it may have something to do with the tachometer

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is the cruise control speed sensor.

The speedometer cable is all mechanical. The cc sensor has a metal rod thru it. The rod a) turns the speedometer cable and b) spins a pickup peg that induces a pulse signal to the computer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the cruise control speed sensor.

The speedometer cable is all mechanical. The cc sensor has a metal rod thru it. The rod a) turns the speedometer cable and b) spins a pickup peg that induces a pulse signal to the computer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No. The tach signal comes from the distributor.

Of the car is running, then the strengths and computer are working leaving the most likely cause off tach failing as the capacitors on the combo meter in the dash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts