Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 1.6 Celica with 177,000.  Do I rebuild (I read the cylinder walls are to thin to bore out), do I put a used engine or can I put a 2.0 in without getting a new clutch or tranny?

I want to go from 105 hp to 150 to 170 hp.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
at 177,000 it should still be okay for turbo...  but i would go with a 4a-gze.  it'll be a direct drop in after you remove your 4age and you'll get about 170hp at the wheel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well first off you dont have a 4age motor you have a 4afe, but the swap should be similar. if you can get a good price do the rebuild depending on how much you want to spend on purchasing the new engine and dropping it in compared to the price of a rebuild

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
you do have a 4afe engine 4=generation, a=block series, f= head series (which this one is for economy) and e= fuel injected. i would say your best bet is the rebuild there is gonna be no other engines to swap with that will bolt into the car. if you want more hp than stock, spend more money on the internals you put in it. drop the compression on the pistons and get a turbo. these engines are fairly easy to rebuild i just rebuilt a friends for him if you dont care about increasing hp then take it out have the block checked 9 outta 10 times u can reuse the pistons just get new rings have the cylinders honed, have the crank machined but watch out cause i think they only make one size larger than the stock bearing. replace all the bearings, all the seals, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, head gasket, rings, I would also have the head looked at maybe have new vlave seals and seat done for it, then just drop it back in and your good to go for another 200k miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts