Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1990 celica gt, it has a 2.2 16 valva engine and needs many mods...like intake, exhaust, turbos etc... I also need to know if a alltrac transmission will work for my car?? Also need to know how to improve handling, very wobbly on turns.  Apreciate any responses. Email me anytime with help at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
ok i have the same car as you. so i will try to assist you in the best way. first off why would you wanna get the all trac tranny? and no it wont work for you cause its a awd tranny and ur car is fwd. about the mods i once tryed modding the 5sfe engine, after intake and exhast i gave up cause i hated the engine and i still got smoked on the street. best bet if you got the $ save up for a engine swap you will never regreat it. as far as handling goes, our cars dont handle the best, but what i found that helped was replacing the tires, and suspension. that should make a world of difference, i got it all replaced with stock and i noticed a huge difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jhull, thanx for the reply, it's been hard trying to find someone that can relate to the same car that lives near me, so the message board was my best bet. Yeah, the handling does suck, and i am getting tires and new suspension.  What ,kind of engine did u put into it, and an estimate on the price of all that. My tranny is going, thats why i'm looking, and my friend said see if alltrac will work. But i want a tranny that is strong and won't loose it's synchrons!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
yeah, i know our handling sucks, theres been mulitliple times that i got my car sideways just trying to make a turn fast, i dont like the way the car distibutes all the weight to the other side so hard, it feels like im drive a 8000 lb vehicle. it would be a nice thing if we could put a all trac tranny on our cars but unfortuanitly we cant
  I got a 3sgte engine i cant really say how much i invested  cause i replaced every thing inside the engine, i got a wastegate t-4 turbo, stand alone system all together iinvested over 6k easily and i did the swap and build the engine. all the work was done by myself so i didnt have to deal with any labor charges. If you want to just do the swap and have time then just wait a little while and keep your eyes open for a 3sgte engine, if you look on ebay and all u might be able to find one for about 1000 with the harness and ecu, that will directly bolt in, it uses the same motor mounts and all, then you will also need a couple other small sensors and all but u should be able to pick them up a a local junk yard or something. cost of swap if you do it should be around 1500-2000, if you have it done it might get as high as 3-4000 depending where u take it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts