Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Anyone here know what all is involved in swapping a JDM 3SGE (94+) motor in place of a USDM 5SFE (90)? Can it be done, and what all will I need?

Much thanks</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>well to start you will need
engine, transmition, ecu, harness, ignitor, distributor, maybe axles, all of the sensors on the engine (most of them come with the engine) your current exhaust will have to be modified to match. if it dont come with the exhaust manifold you will need that.
I think 3rd gen 3sge still uses a mass air meter, you will have to check into that if it does you will also need that. your current alternator, power steering pump, and ac should bolt onto the block. I think u could use the 5sfe tranny with it to. but again I cant tell you how long that tranny would take the beating.
best bet is to buy from a company and tell them you are swapping engines and you need all the parts to make this engine work. if you buy without all the parts, your gonna get urself into trouble, these engines are very rare and you'r gonna have a very hard time trying to find a harness ecu ect... if it doesnt come with the engine.
the harness is not gonna match inside your celica. your gonna need some detailed wiring diagrams for your car as well as a car that has this engine in it stock. so you can match up what is needed. nice engine could be a more difficult swap, because theres not much info out there for this one.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>well I have found a 3rd gen 3sge with complete wire harness, ecu, and all sensors.  The price is $2000.  Is it worth it, does anyone know what type of hp this engine has.  The sales person says its between 180-200 this could be just to make the sale.

Much thanks</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>na, hes telling the truth on the hp rating.
they are very nice engines, high revvers high power non Turbos.. gonna be a little harder to modify as there isnt many parts made for it cause its so rare...
Just make sure when they say all sensors it means everything to make a swap possible, most of them just include all the sensors on the engine. which is still good but u need some that arnt found on the engine.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font color='#000000'>I'm gonna make sure it does include all sensors.  Hey thanks you've been alot of help, and with just some bolt on performance I could have this puppie up to about 230 hp.  Thats pretty sweet, Honda hunting season would be officially open...LOL</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>yeah with the right mods you should have no problem hitting that hp...
its awesome that toyota can do that stock out of a 4 cylinder with no turbo while keeping a redline near 8k. and its very reliable....
there was a big craze over these engines about a year ago.. kinda died out though, im not sure why... i think the avalibilty kinda scared people away these engines are as hard to get as a 3rd gen 3sgte.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Okay, so the engine in the 5th gen celica used to be used in the 2nd gen celica?  Or when you say 2nd gen 3sgte you mean that it's the 2nd gen 3sgte that toyota made?  :eek:o:   Sorry I'm confused  :down:

And why did they stop putting such powerful engines in the celicas?!?!
225 hp?!? daaaaaaaamn.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>yeah lol 225hp is enouph to smoke a 7th gen gts.... lol
no the engines have different generations then the cars.
1st gen 3sgte (88-89 celica) was like 200hp
2nd gen 3sgte (90-93 celica) was like 225hp
3rd gen 3sgte (94-99? celica) well all 6th gen celicas was said to produce somewhere around 260hp
they never shipped the 3rd gens overseas to the us because of emissions.. well you can get the engine but never shipped 6th gen alltracs.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>That sucks... damn emissions controls...  So if I ever was looking for a 3sgte I should look for one from a 90-93 celica?  If my engine ever goes out and I need a new engine put in, I am def going for a 3sgte.
  :upside:</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>well if you wanted the best hp 3sgte you would need a 3rd gen 3sgte found in 94+celicas. 260hp
match that with a tranny outta a 93+turbo mr2 (stock lsd) you'd have a good start. but you would loose the 6th gear.

thats swap would take some time... i know there has been only few that did it.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Yeah, but you said the 3rd gen 3gste wasn't imported to the states... so I'd have to have to find one overseas and have it shipped to me right?

It's not like this would happen right away... I kinda need money first... AND my engine to die out
 (knock on wood: please don't do it right away!:()</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts