Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(posting under both generation sections)
Hi, so I've been planning to get a toyota celica next year. So im basically just doing research on the car. Im not the best at cars but know a mechanic and I want to learn. I really love the look of the cars, especially the ones with pop up headlights. Personally I dont really like the look of the 2000s celicas and most ive found have been handled badly. (the 90s ones ive found have been in good shape and for like 2-3k dollars ish). (the one i found has airbags) The early 90s ones i found were 2.0 Gti 16V with 156hp coupes and the 1999 one i found was a 1.8 16V 116hp.
  1. Is the car okay as a first car?
  2. Are they reliable?
  3. Is it easy to get replacement parts? (eu, sweden)
  4. Are repairs/maintenance expensive?
  5. How is the gas milage?
  6. Are they moddable at all? (if not are the 2000s ones?)
(they are all manuals ofc)
One of the 1990/91 has a milage of 108 739 miles (US miles, 17500 Swedish miles) and the other has 142 915 miles (US miles, 23k swedish miles). Both seem well taken care of mantenence wise but you never know until you go and check it out i guess and the 1999 one has 114 953 US miles (18500 swedish miles)

I don't know if these questions are enough so feel free to add any extra info as im trying to learn more about the vehicle

·
Registered
208 Posts
25+ year old cars require lots of care and feeding. The accumulation of rust and wires deteriorating from heat lead to ongoing maintenance and repairs.

With that said, a ge engine would better for a first car than a gte engine (turbo). However, the engine upgrade parts market is focused on the gte market. Good news is that you share the same engine for some of the upgrade market would work for you.

As for body, you'll need to get stuff from the junk yards for the 90's cars. Most of us running these have been buying up extra parts or have a parts car. If you are Sweden, there is a large active community in the UK that might point you to local markets. Also, there is a considerable japanese export market for the 5th gen.

Finally, very helpful to have a mechanic with experience on these cars/engines. There is a lot of history for common problems so it's useful to know where to focus quIckly (ie blown capacitors).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just purchased a '91 last July for $2100. eBay. 268k miles with a automatic transmission that has shifting issues but nothing that cannot be fixed at home. Had to replace some suspension parts and an ignition module but otherwise it's rust free and a daily driver. Supposed to get around 40mpg. Don't know if that's true but it's not far off. I've had no problem finding engine, suspension parts, ignition parts, vacuum switches, filters etc. all on-line and reasonable. Has the 2,2 engine with a a243L transmission with overdrive so it should get the good mileage. I think it was a good purchase and not disappointed so far. There are plenty of sellers for new and used parts if you Google around. eBay has been good for this also. I've had no need for body parts but could probably find what you would need with some hard searching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts