Toyota Celica Forum banner

1981 Convertible

29K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  93celicaconv 
#1 ·
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. I am trying to find out anything I can about the history of this car. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read "American Custom Coachworks, Beverly Hills ,CA" Does anyone know how many of these where made this way? I know there are at least 2 beacuse I seen one on ebay about 6 months ago and mine. Carfax reads it as a coupe and not a convertible. It was a coupe from the assembly plant but was sent to Cali to have the conversion done. The American custom coachworks is no longer an identity but is now a limo sale scomapany. From my understanding, American Custom Coachworks burnt to the ground back in teh early 90's and so did all their records. I do know this is avery rare thing but I am just begging for any other info I can get. Cannot fina much on the internet about a 1981 convertible other than the sunchasers. I would appreciate any responses on this topic.

#2 ·
#3 ·
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ Apr 17 2007, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145584
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. I am trying to find out anything I can about the history of this car. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read "American Custom Coachworks, Beverly Hills ,CA" Does anyone know how many of these where made this way? I know there are at least 2 beacuse I seen one on ebay about 6 months ago and mine. Carfax reads it as a coupe and not a convertible. It was a coupe from the assembly plant but was sent to Cali to have the conversion done. The American custom coachworks is no longer an identity but is now a limo sale scomapany. From my understanding, American Custom Coachworks burnt to the ground back in teh early 90's and so did all their records. I do know this is avery rare thing but I am just begging for any other info I can get. Cannot fina much on the internet about a 1981 convertible other than the sunchasers. I would appreciate any responses on this topic.[/B]
Yeah, I have found it to be rare to. I am new to this site I am trying to figure out how to add a picture. Can you help. I would love to post it. That way others can see it too! Thanks Bryan

#4 ·
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ Apr 19 2007, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145818
Yeah, I have found it to be rare to. I am new to this site I am trying to figure out how to add a picture. Can you help. I would love to post it. That way others can see it too! Thanks Bryan[/B]
Hi, Bryan. I will be glad to help. I think this site requires that you already have your photos uploaded to the Internet. Once they are on the net, you click on the little gray button of a picture frame (two over from the yellow smiley above) and type in the address of the photo.

If you do not have a place to upload the photo(s) to the Internet, just e-mail them to me at geousa@thehyway.com and I will host them for you on my site. I will give you the address you can use to post them on forums and other web sites.

Geo

#5 ·
QUOTE (GeoUSA @ Apr 20 2007, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145909
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ Apr 19 2007, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145818
Yeah, I have found it to be rare to. I am new to this site I am trying to figure out how to add a picture. Can you help. I would love to post it. That way others can see it too! Thanks Bryan[/B]
Hi, Bryan. I will be glad to help. I think this site requires that you already have your photos uploaded to the Internet. Once they are on the net, you click on the little gray button of a picture frame (two over from the yellow smiley above) and type in the address of the photo.

If you do not have a place to upload the photo(s) to the Internet, just e-mail them to me at geousa@thehyway.com and I will host them for you on my site. I will give you the address you can use to post them on forums and other web sites.

Geo
[/B][/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks GEO, I will take some good pics of it tomorrow and then email them to you. It is suppose to be a really nice day so they should turn out really good. Thanks for your help,
Bryan

#7 ·
I have a 1980 Toyota Celica Convertible 2-Seat SLR Roadster converted by Grandeur Motor Car Corporation out of Pompano Beach, Florida. This is an extremely rare car as well. I saw the convertible on e-bay that you were talking about being like yours. I didn't know that they had that company in California that made the full convertible in lieu of the Targa (Sunchaser). I'm in the process of starting to restore mine, but I'll try and do some research to help you out. Also, I'll try to get some pictures uploaded for you on my Celica.

#8 ·
QUOTE (oldschool @ May 13 2007, 07:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=147912
I have a 1980 Toyota Celica Convertible 2-Seat SLR Roadster converted by Grandeur Motor Car Corporation out of Pompano Beach, Florida. This is an extremely rare car as well. I saw the convertible on e-bay that you were talking about being like yours. I didn't know that they had that company in California that made the full convertible in lieu of the Targa (Sunchaser). I'm in the process of starting to restore mine, but I'll try and do some research to help you out. Also, I'll try to get some pictures uploaded for you on my Celica.[/B]
That would be great. I would like to see it. I have more pics of mine on a sunney day outside. If you are interested I can send them to you. I will need your email though. Anyway, looking forward to seeing yours.

G
#9 ·
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ May 20 2007, 08:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=148527
I have a 1980 Toyota Celica Convertible 2-Seat SLR Roadster converted by Grandeur Motor Car Corporation out of Pompano Beach, Florida. This is an extremely rare car as well. I saw the convertible on e-bay that you were talking about being like yours. I didn't know that they had that company in California that made the full convertible in lieu of the Targa (Sunchaser). I'm in the process of starting to restore mine, but I'll try and do some research to help you out. Also, I'll try to get some pictures uploaded for you on my Celica.[/B]
That would be great. I would like to see it. I have more pics of mine on a sunney day outside. If you are interested I can send them to you. I will need your email though. Anyway, looking forward to seeing yours.
[/B][/QUOTE]

nice celica! i just found a 80 full convertible celica, paid five hundred. just had to do the head, no rust, msd. and it is mint. anybody know what this car went for on e-bay? or info on a top boot not the sunchaser. curious, just found this site after no luck. cool! here is a pic from da big island

#10 ·
QUOTE (hightoyota @ May 24 2007, 01:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=148948
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ May 20 2007, 08:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=148527
[/B][/QUOTE]

nice celica! i just found a 80 full convertible celica, paid five hundred. just had to do the head, no rust, msd. and it is mint. anybody know what this car went for on e-bay? or info on a top boot not the sunchaser. curious, just found this site after no luck. cool! here is a pic from da big island

[/B][/QUOTE]

Man! You stole it for $500.00. Heck, I'll give you double what you paid for it. I am not sure but I think the one on ebay went for around $12,000. It was absolutely perfect though. Keep digging to find onfo on these. Look inside your glove box lid and see if you have a label or tag defining who did the conversion. You got a steal man. Hold onto it for about 4-5 years and see what kind of $$ you can get then. Anyway, good luck.

G
#11 ·
Your car looks identical to one here that I'm looking at buying.

Needs a top and interior, and cosmetics and new paint, other than a total overhaul......... its in good shape.

Starting with the top, did you get anywhere?

#12 ·
QUOTE (Mechfe @ Jun 1 2007, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=149742
Your car looks identical to one here that I'm looking at buying.

Needs a top and interior, and cosmetics and new paint, other than a total overhaul......... its in good shape.

Starting with the top, did you get anywhere?[/B]
Yes, I found a guy here in Kansas City that would custom make a top for $600.00 installed and then an additional $50.00 for the wonsheild pillars. Thought that was a steal so I am having it done in a couple of weeks. Did you end up buying the white one? Here is my email address if you would like to communicate via email. bltabor@hotmail.com Thanks

#13 ·
QUOTE (GeoUSA @ Apr 18 2007, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145676
Your 1981 does sound rare. I have an '85 convertible made by American Specialty Cars (also of Califormia) for Toyota. Please post a pic or two of your auto -- I'd love to see it. The only 2nd gen convertible I find any information on is the SunChaser with removable Targa top.

Online resources about the SunChaser:

http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/c/h/chirdon/pu...r/history1.html

http://www.toyotasunchaser.com

Here are a few pics:

[/B]
Dude I have those same wheels on that red one with the spokes. Do you know where i can find more of the spokes and the part that holds them on?

#14 ·
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ Apr 18 2007, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145584
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. I am trying to find out anything I can about the history of this car. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read "American Custom Coachworks, Beverly Hills ,CA" Does anyone know how many of these where made this way? I know there are at least 2 beacuse I seen one on ebay about 6 months ago and mine. Carfax reads it as a coupe and not a convertible. It was a coupe from the assembly plant but was sent to Cali to have the conversion done. The American custom coachworks is no longer an identity but is now a limo sale scomapany. From my understanding, American Custom Coachworks burnt to the ground back in teh early 90's and so did all their records. I do know this is avery rare thing but I am just begging for any other info I can get. Cannot fina much on the internet about a 1981 convertible other than the sunchasers. I would appreciate any responses on this topic.[/B]

#15 ·
QUOTE (81 Convertible conversion @ Apr 18 2007, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145584
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. I am trying to find out anything I can about the history of this car. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read ", Beverly Hills ,CA" Does anyone know how many of these where made this way? I know there are at least 2 beacuse I seen one on ebay about 6 months ago and mine. Carfax reads it as a coupe and not a convertible. It was a coupe from the assembly plant but was sent to Cali to have the conversion done. The American custom coachworks is no longer an identity but is now a limo sale scomapany. From my understanding, American Custom Coachworks burnt to the ground back in teh early 90's and so did all their records. I do know this is avery rare thing but I am just begging for any other info I can get. Cannot fina much on the internet about a 1981 convertible other than the sunchasers. I would appreciate any responses on this topic.[/B]
I own a 1980 Sunchaser convertible. These cars were converted with consideration given to the fact that the original Celica was not designed to have the top cut off and relied on the top for integrity. This why the undercarraige on the Sunchasers were substantially reinforced and the fiberglass roll bar was installed on the Sunchaser. The rollbar prevents the sides of the car from moving and the reinforced undercarraige prevents the car from buckling in the middle while also reducing torsion. I would not feel safe driving the American Custom Coachworks complete convertible version of this car, as it may be prone to catastrophic failure. It is probably rare, because the design was flawed from inception. Good Luck.

#16 ·
QUOTE (capcass @ Nov 11 2008, 04:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=174743
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. I am trying to find out anything I can about the history of this car. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read ", Beverly Hills ,CA" Does anyone know how many of these where made this way? I know there are at least 2 beacuse I seen one on ebay about 6 months ago and mine. Carfax reads it as a coupe and not a convertible. It was a coupe from the assembly plant but was sent to Cali to have the conversion done. The American custom coachworks is no longer an identity but is now a limo sale scomapany. From my understanding, American Custom Coachworks burnt to the ground back in teh early 90's and so did all their records. I do know this is avery rare thing but I am just begging for any other info I can get. Cannot fina much on the internet about a 1981 convertible other than the sunchasers. I would appreciate any responses on this topic.[/B]
I own a 1980 Sunchaser convertible. These cars were converted with consideration given to the fact that the original Celica was not designed to have the top cut off and relied on the top for integrity. This why the undercarraige on the Sunchasers were substantially reinforced and the fiberglass roll bar was installed on the Sunchaser. The rollbar prevents the sides of the car from moving and the reinforced undercarraige prevents the car from buckling in the middle while also reducing torsion. I would not feel safe driving the American Custom Coachworks complete convertible version of this car, as it may be prone to catastrophic failure. It is probably rare, because the design was flawed from inception. Good Luck.
[/B][/QUOTE]

#17 ·
QUOTE (notasunchaser @ Jan 16 2009, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=176974
[/B][/QUOTE]
[/B][/QUOTE]

#18 ·
QUOTE (notasunchaser @ Jan 16 2009, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=176975
QUOTE (notasunchaser @ Jan 16 2009, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=176974
[/B][/QUOTE]
[/B][/QUOTE]
[/B][/QUOTE]Hi

Me and my Dad have owned a 1981 celica convertible for 20 years. Its yellow with black interior. We have had it restored and it is only drove to car shows. It is not a sunchaser. It has a plaque in the console from Custom Coachworks from Beverly Hills CA. It is one of the most unique and interesting cars around. I will try and add a pic of it.

#19 ·
OK, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have 1981 Toyota convertible and it is not a Sunchaser. It has emblems on the front fenders and the back truck lid that read "American Custom Coachworks, Beverly Hills ,CA"[/B]
I just stumbled onto this thread, so I thought I would chime in. After reading all the posts, here are a few thoughts...

Though the Griffith Sunchasers are the most common conversion, there were a fair amount also built by other companies. ACC was the next most common. Numbers built are hard to peg, but about 400-500 is an estimate I would place on it. I see about 5 or 6 come up for sale a year. I see about 3 times that many Sunchasers come up for sale. Then a couple by Grandeur might come up plus a dozen or so that are missing any labels or badges, so the maker is unknown.

The full convertible Celicas are perfectly safe. Some have assumed that the Griffith Sunchaser is a better car and wont fall apart just because it has the roll bar. Not true. All these conversions were built fairly well and will not fall apart just because they had thier tops removed. (30 years and road salts could make ANY Celica fall apart by now!) The only safety advantage to the Sunchaser would be in the rare chance of a full roll-over.

I wrote an article about the coach convertibles of the day and placed it on Wiki. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_convertible and let me know if you have any data to help me with my research.

#20 ·
Well, I just joined this small group of UNOBTANIUM Celica Convertible owners!
Tough enough to find parts for the regular ones, but add a conversions and wow!

Just got the top redone on my 1980 Celica SLR 2-seater convertible ($1300) and THAT was the cheapest around my area, most wanted $1600-2000!

There are some easy conversions for these, one is the addition of a 1980 Supra rear end with the disc brakes! VERY easy to do! Bolts right in, no modifications as long as you get everything from the driveshaft back! and whala, you have 4-wheel disc! JUST did this and its great!

I am also trying to SUPRA-UP the whole car, new seats, doors with power windows, locks, etc Supra Dash, and hopefully the Supra nose will look like my photo! Paint is next month (I was waiting on the top to be finished) The car is a FACTORY yellow (really rare!)

I have some NOS side amber marker lights on ebay if anyone needs a set! (Hard to find for me!)
can't wait to get it finished so I can get that 32 MPG and all those looks!!!

ok, so here is a pic!

#21 ·
I have the two seater SLR conversion by Griffith of Pompano Beach based of the 1980 GT. Mine is number 1172. I have to agree that the car is perfectly safe and sound, as part of the conversion included structure reinforcement, and the main part of the top is steel that even when folded back provides ample support. My car was rear ended (hard enough to spring the bumper out) and received little to no buckle at the right rear fender, and my frame is still staight and solid. (My passenger door does require a slam top get it closed all the way at the moment) I am shoppping for a new top, and found that while Grandeur no longer exists, their patent on the coach conversion still does. I am experimenting with the theory that this conversion design was based off of the popular Mercedes Benz 450 SL roadster, as measurements of all angles indicate. I am secretly hoping that the removable hardtop for the MB will fit as well, but I am trying out the softtop for now. So far, the only difference I can find is in the latch assemblies (at the windshield) and only in style, not location.

#22 ·

I just stumbled onto this thread, so I thought I would chime in. After reading all the posts, here are a few thoughts...

Though the Griffith Sunchasers are the most common conversion, there were a fair amount also built by other companies. ACC was the next most common. Numbers built are hard to peg, but about 400-500 is an estimate I would place on it. I see about 5 or 6 come up for sale a year. I see about 3 times that many Sunchasers come up for sale. Then a couple by Grandeur might come up plus a dozen or so that are missing any labels or badges, so the maker is unknown.

The full convertible Celicas are perfectly safe. Some have assumed that the Griffith Sunchaser is a better car and wont fall apart just because it has the roll bar. Not true. All these conversions were built fairly well and will not fall apart just because they had thier tops removed. (30 years and road salts could make ANY Celica fall apart by now!) The only safety advantage to the Sunchaser would be in the rare chance of a full roll-over.

I wrote an article about the coach convertibles of the day and placed it on Wiki. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_convertible and let me know if you have any data to help me with my research.
Hi, I stumbled upon this post and was wondering if you're still reading it, cause I have a car that I'm trying to figure out if it's rare. It's a 1981 Toyota Celica convertible with no targa bar going across it. The convertible frame is very complex and it seems to be different than any design I've seen before. Here's a picture of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.