LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Turboing 1zz questions

Hey guys so, tired of the the celica Being so slow, so soon I wanna go turbo. I have a couple questions like how much will I be be spending for a decent turbo, and what engine mods do I have to do to go turbo? I heard we don't have to rebuild our 1zz's but I have no idea if that's true. Thank you

still not low enough /:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Garage

For 6-8 psi a rebuild is not needed. As for how much you're spending that depends if you have an auto or a manual. You are looking at at least $4,000.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
For 6-8 psi a rebuild is not needed. As for how much you're spending that depends if you have an auto or a manual. You are looking at at least $4,000.
i have an auto btw! and around how much horse would i be pushing after?

still not low enough /:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Without building the engine and running 8 psi you push aprox 180-190 to the flywheel.

It's about a 40 hp or so increase. Increase in torque is around 12 ftlbs according to monkeywrench racing.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Without building the engine and running 8 psi you push aprox 180-190 to the flywheel.

It's about a 40 hp or so increase. Increase in torque is around 12 ftlbs according to monkeywrench racing.
Thinking if it's even worth it

still not low enough /:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Guru

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiynik View Post
Quote:

Thinking if it's even worth it
This is why most people go with the engine swap first and build the 2zz. Like Fox said, just to get your 1zz pushing about the same power as a stock 2zz, you would invest approximately 3000-6000 depending on turbo, if you do the labor, and tuning. Don't get me wrong. It's totally possible to build a 1zz. You just need $$$ and patience.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celi0090 View Post
This is why most people go with the engine swap first and build the 2zz. Like Fox said, just to get your 1zz pushing about the same power as a stock 2zz, you would invest approximately 3000-6000 depending on turbo, if you do the labor, and tuning. Don't get me wrong. It's totally possible to build a 1zz. You just need $$$ and patience.
Very few people have swapped then turboed. They Swap and super charge.

The 1zz has more torque then a 2zz. A turboed 1zz can be built to withstand more power then the 2zz going turbo to turbo. It's significantly cheaper to turbo a 1zz then a 2zz.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Guru

Garage

I didn't say turbo, I said "build". I know 2zz engines are boosted sometimes. Personally I am building my 1zz(I'm hording all the parts I need). My point was that if OP's goal is just around 200whp out of a GT, it's better to swap the engine. Now my goal for my 1zz(about 300-350whp), will require lots of internal mods.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celi0090 View Post
I didn't say turbo, I said "build". I know 2zz engines are boosted sometimes. Personally I am building my 1zz(I'm hording all the parts I need). My point was that if OP's goal is just around 200whp out of a GT, it's better to swap the engine. Now my goal for my 1zz(about 300-350whp), will require lots of internal mods.
Again a stock 1zz has more torque then a stock 2zz. It is a better idea to turbo a 1zz then to get a 2zz. In reality, unless you supercharge or buy a Lotus 2zz, the 2zz really is not worth the upgrade. Buying a 2zz and then building it will only gain maybe to 200hp without boost. But they would be way high up in the range, to where a 1zz will be better suited as it gets its power much lower.

I think you also missed that OP has an auto which is a problem. You have to switch to a 2zz auto trans or manual transmission as the 1zz ecu controls the tranny. So spending 3k to boost his 1zz is a much smarter idea

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Guru

Garage

I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just your tune(stance on the matter) is much different than what I get on NewCelica. Try posting anything supporting modding a 1zz and watch how most of the old-timer members will tear you up.

"Build" was an ambiguous word meaning FI, turbo, or supercharge. Again, I'm trying to build my 1zz auto as well. As you can tell, people like me who have faith in a 1zz got torn down with little support.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page