LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Overheating?

Gents,
Need help to trouble shoot the overheating problem I have. The issue is that my 2000 Celica GT overheats when I drive it, does not when it sits at idle. I just purchased this car yesterday. I have noticed yesterday that my car overheats when I was driving it back home. I pulled over a few times to let the car cool down before I made it home. I noticed while I was waiting for the car to cool down that the cars lower coolant line was really hard, upper was not. Lower was warm but upper was really hot. So today I went to replace thermostat and to my surprise there was none. Funny thing is that the seal was but no thermostat. So that really assures me know that the issue was not a stuck thermostat. Water pump seems to be fine also. What could be the issue gentlemen? Do I have a blockage in the head or somewhere, to where the coolant is not passing through the way it should?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Guru

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

No thermostat on the car? How odd. When you viewed this car before purchase, did you check all fluids or for leaks? There was a recent thread here about this very same issue. I will post the link. Perhaps your issue may be similar.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Guru

Garage

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Guru

Garage
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yes the fluids we all good, no milky stuff on the oil dip stick. Really had no sign of head issues. No white cloud of smoke or anything. Thanks for the reply.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Guru

Garage

So no leaky coolant hoses? You should test for air in the coolant system or check your oil for antifreeze in it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Just got done putting the car back together. I had replaced the thermostat with a new one, so it has one now. Flushed the radiator and engine block by forcing water with a garden hose through both side. There seems to be no issues with blockage or anything. The water ran through both ways on the radiator and engine block. Once put back together I replaced coolant and ran the car trying to bleed the air out. I made sure the overflow tank was above the hood latch and the cap was off also while running the car. The bleeder on the overflow was loose also. Ran the car for about 20 minutes and no overheating, fans kicked on and still no overheating. But like I said before never had the issue of overheating will it was running still. Have not taken it for a ride yet. Lower radiator hose seems to be pressurized really bad also. Like the coolent is not getting through. Upper hose is hot but not lower one. Can air in the system cause this? Do I need to bleed the air through the engine block? If so ho is this done, do you do it while the car is running or not?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Also I forgot to add that there is not heat coming from my heater in the inside of the car. Heat was on while I was bleeding system but never got hot.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Guru

Garage

Follow the NewCelica link I provided, there are multiple ways to test a coolant leak although you may want to see what's up with the coolant hose you mention(one side being stiff and other loose sounds sketchy).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, this is really starting to get on my last nerve. I think I have a bad head gasket, I just do not know as to why the coolant is not running through the block like it should. Seems like there is something stopping it from flowing. This is why I think it overheats when I drive the car and not when its sitting in place. Something internal must be going on. Well to the shop it will go. Thanks for the help and if you think of anything else let me know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page