User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

I'd say you have a leak somewhere and air may be in the system.....but have your shop check it out and brief you as to what they exactly did. Don't want to be told they did something when they didn't. Ask for old parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The coolant goes into the radiator in the bottom hose and comes out the top hose into the engine block.

When the engine is running at normal temp and the cooling fans are blowing, if the bottom hose is pressurized and the top is soft, then looks like there are blockages inside the radiator, most likely caused by calcium deposits by hard water.

You may want to pressure test the radiator to confirm blockage. Or you may want to dissolve the calcium, by adding radiator treatment liquid into the coolant, run the engine and let it dissolve the calcium. Follow instructions for the liquid. It's corrosive so Dont leave it in the system too long.

Flush the cooling system with DISTILLED WATER ONLY, running the engine hot with the heater, fan and A/C full blast. After draining the water, fill the cooling system with TOYOTA's red coolant fluid with proper mix of DISTILLED WATER. The instruction to fill and bleed the cooling system is pasted on the hood.

Good luck.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 PM

I have the same problem with my daughters '04 Celica GT. It's been in my shop for 3 months now and I am about ready to take it to the scrap yard! In the last 3 months we have put new radiator, new thermostats, new water pump, and now a new heater core (which was a real P.I.T.A). I even tested both the old thermostat and the new one to see if it was defective and both open at about 185 F. I still have the same problem. It will idle forever with no problems, radiator fans cycle on and off as they should, drive it down the road and will briefly overheat and then cool back down. No hot air from the heater no matter what. I have burped the system per Toyota's instruction, several times, and also tried my own "force feed" method of forcing coolant into the return hoses and heater core. There is no oil getting in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, and not loosing any coolant. I can feel hot coolant on input side of heater core, but it never seems to be exiting the heater core, that hose stays cold. The only part of the system I haven't had apart is the tubing from the heater core to the water pump. This appears to go under the fuel injection and intake, so it looks like I'm going to have to remove all that and see if there is a valve or a blockage of some kind. I guess I'm about to tackle that next, but any help or ideas are welcome!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:07 PM

The cooling systems on these cars are very touchy, it is hard to get air out of them and it often gets trapped in the heater core. I usually take off the fill cap and the small while cap and I blip the throttle to 4k over and over to "burp" the air out. Then I put the cap back on and ride it around, getting through the rev range. Then carefully I crack the caps to let air out.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2002 GTS with 300K miles. I overheated a couple times with broken coolant hoses and broken serpentine belt. Engine still runs smooth and strong now, no problem after fixing leaks and refilling. Dont know if the GT cooling system is different.

Check to make sure you are not losing coolant and there are no coolant leaks anywhere and no coolant in oil, also no oil in coolant, to make sure there are no cracks in the engine.

If the overheating is transient, it points to a large block of air in the cooling system. When the air moves past the engine temp sensor, it shows a quick overheat signal. This problem is harmless. Eventually that air will be driven out.

No heat from cabin heater also points to an air block in the cooling system.

I would do another burping to make sure most of the air is out of the system. Small air entrapments will eventually get driven out of the reservoir.

You may also want to add radiator flushing chemicals and dissolve any calcium blockage.

Last edited by PETER PAN 2009; 12-01-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 AM

No thermostat on the car?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page