User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Engine question

do any celica gt 2002 models come with 2zz-ge stock?
and my speeedo goes up to 160mph . but i read gt goes up to 140 on speedo so idk if i have a gt or a gts smh. dont have the letters on back just trd logo bought off ebay most likely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:27 AM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Pretty sure the gt has o ly ever had the 1zz. Other signs other than the badge to know if it's a gts or a gt. Steel pedals, 16" rims, 6-speed are all on the GTS. GT is rubber pedals, 15" rims, 5-speed.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Old Timer

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage

^ pretty much what Joe said. 2zz is the GT-S engine, 1zz is the GT engine. If you see any GT badged cars with a 2zz then it was swaped.

***TRD CELICA 03 GT-S***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

ok so i have leather seats, the steel pads,the 2zz engine,automatic with four shift lights, could it just be A gt with all these gts parts swapped in. because this car is slow ,like a minivan could take me in a race lol arent gts supposed to be fast
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

The 1zz and 2zz like the be rev'd a lot. With a 4 speed auto, it's harder to achive that because you not only cannot control what the transmission is doing, but have 2 less gears so the gears are longer. (Think I got that right, learning)

My GT 5-speed doesn't move until 3k rpms. I'm sure with auto it may need a little more for longer gears if I'm right about what i said above. How high do you rev it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage

Yea, apparently the GTS auto only does 0-60 in around 8 seconds according to guys on here. My 6-speed manual recently clocked 6.5 seconds with a passenger in the car with me and with only minimal performance mods (stock engine internals, no F/I). Even the GTS 6-speed isn't a very fast car acceleration-wise per say....my old boss's Toyota Tundra with the V8 actually accelerates as fast as my car, lol. Whether that says his truck is a beast or the 7th gen celicas aren't very fast, I'm not sure. But...BUUUTTT, with our 4 banger we get better gas mileage, so f*ck the V8 guys anyway, haha.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

joe_dirte9 what do you mean how high i rev it?

my car goes 0-60 in like 15 seconds lol it has no power idk why i thought the car just is slow but in 8 seconds i wish lol..

also the gears are supposed to be long but my car shifts from 1st to second at around the 5-10 mph mark is this bad ..like i can hit 3rd gear going at 30mph sometimes and fourth at 40-60 and after that i can go from 40-130 mph with no gear shift how bad is this???
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage

Ummm....very bad. The more gears you have, the more often you shift....and with 6 gears I shift from 1st to 2nd at around 36/37 mph. Depending on what kind of ratios the automatic gear box has and what Toyota's goals were, it should shift anywhere between 30 and 40 mph. 40-130 in 4th gear is about as bad as it gets. I've never driven a Celica auto, but there is no way that could be right. There must be some kind of problem with your car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Garage

@gfalcon The auto GTS is the slowest of the 4 7th gens. The 2zz has less power and torque low down the rev range, which is where daily driving occurs. It sounds like you drive the car without slamming the pedal to the metal. You also have a sports shift (the paddles behind the steering wheel) and it will auto shift very slowly if you dont. Make sure you are in drive and not to the left of it.

@Lightforce First gear should be shifted to second gear at about 15 to 20 mph for fuel economy (according to the manual). Daily driving shifting that high can cause your lift bolts to snap. Not saying dont do just remember that. For an automatic, btw, it shifts (without flooring) from 1st to 2nd at about 17ish mph. 2nd to 3rd at around 36ish. 3rd to 4th at about 50ish. 4th to OD at 60. If you floor it, 1st to 2nd is around 33mph, 2nd to 3rd around 52mph, 3rd to 4th around 74mph, 4th to OD around 90ish. These are all from my 1zz auto. The GTS should be similar as it has similar gearing.

To the original questio : you cannot swap a 2zz into a GT auto as the ecu cannot handle the lift and the auto ecu needs triptonic shifting. You have a GTS.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Garage

Also, are you located in the UK? In the UK the sports Celica was considered GT in some areas and is a GTS by American standards.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page