Question about replacing speakers, and which way to face subwoofers - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Question about replacing speakers, and which way to face subwoofers

When I replaced my stock speakers, there were 2 connections to the speakers,
1 connection for the 4inch speakers,
and another connection for these 2inch speakers that were on top of the 4inch ones.
Should I combine those 2 connections into my 1 speaker, to maybe get more power into it?
Like combining the positives, and negatives from both the 4inch, and 2inch, and plugging them into my speaker.

I have the same head unit, but my new speakers doesn't sound as loud as the stock ones, even when the stock speakers were all ripped up.

I also installed 2 12inch, 1000watt subwoofers, and I was wondering if I should position them to face the rear seats, or do they sound better facing the trunk?
Currently I have them facing the rear seats, and I was wondering which way you guys had your subwoofers facing.

Last edited by DjSharperimage; 11-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage

The stock speakers are 2 ohms impedance. This means they draw more power per voltage output from your amplifier. Your new speakers are most likely not 2 ohms, but 4 or 8, meaning they won't draw as much power and won't be as loud.

I was getting weird dynamics with the stock wiring that implied a crossover on the wires somewhere. You don't want that, so I'd advise not using the stock wiring and running 14 gauge wire to your new speakers from the amp. The stock wire is WAY too thin anyway, creating a lot of parasitic sound level loss. But, frankly you should throw away/bypass the OEM amp and put a new amplifier in. The original amp is TERRIBLE. Just get a new amp and put it in the spare tire bay (you'll need to remove the spare tire of course), then run wires to your 4 speakers out from the amp, and run a 12v 4 gauge wire from the positive battery terminal to your amp. It's a bit of work, but well worth the effort. It will look something like this:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Garage

@Light Force there is a crossover inside each door for the tweeters. Also, unless you have the JBL system, it runs off the headunit. No stock amp.

@OP Are your subs in ported or sead boxes? Ported you will want them at a slight angle upward toward your hatch for best airflow. For sealed, face away from the seat if you have them right behind the seat, away from the rear panel if they are there instead. Basically, face them so the sub is facing out. This will give the clearest sound without muffling.

As for your speakers, what speakers did you get?

I honk at other Celicas on the road.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea, I know there is a cap on the tweeter circuit, first order crossover, but I was getting weird results from my oscilloscope when playing sine waves at dif/ frequencies between the woofer and midrange. It seemed like the midrange was crossed over with a high pass somewhere in the circuit, which would makes sense, but I couldn't find the crossover for it. Essentially at a certain point the sine wave signal disappeared on that line below a given frequency, though I don't recall exactly what it was. I eventually gave up and just ran my own wiring.

Mine came with an aftermarket CD player head unit, but, where the wires passed by near the kick panel there was a Toyota OEM amplifier that had its wires clipped and taped off. I know it was an amp b/c it had wattage ratings at given impedances written on it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yeah theres a crossover in the door itself somewhere. I forgot where exactly. Running your own wires is best anyway. I did to mine.

There where two speaker options. Regular and JBL. The JBL had amp driven speakers with independant crossovers in the door for the tweeters.

When they first came out it was actually a pretty good system.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
@Light Force there is a crossover inside each door for the tweeters. Also, unless you have the JBL system, it runs off the headunit. No stock amp.

@OP Are your subs in ported or sead boxes? Ported you will want them at a slight angle upward toward your hatch for best airflow. For sealed, face away from the seat if you have them right behind the seat, away from the rear panel if they are there instead. Basically, face them so the sub is facing out. This will give the clearest sound without muffling.

As for your speakers, what speakers did you get?

Thanks, I'll try facing the subs towards the rear.

I just got these Rockville speakers that came with the subwoofer kit. It's nothing super expensive, but it does the job.
It's super loud too, I have to turn the amp waaaayyyyy down to like 10% gain, to keep them from overpowering the front and rear speakers.
Rockville RV12 2A 1200W Dual 12" Car Subwoofer Enclosure Mono Amplifier Amp Kit | eBay

Last edited by DjSharperimage; 11-23-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

No I meant speakers, not subs lol

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
No I meant speakers, not subs lol
I got these BOSS CH6530 6.5" 3-Way 600W speakers

4 New Boss CH6530 6 5" 3 Way 600W Car Audio Coaxial Speakers Stereo Red 689076227452 | eBay

Do you guys really think there might be a crossover in there somewhere?
Because I did not see it when installing my speakers......

Last edited by DjSharperimage; 11-26-2015 at 09:57 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's only logical to assume....if the midrange on the stock speaker was taking bass frequencies, it would have killed the midrange. Yet, when I disassembled the speakers, there was no crossover inside of them. So, it must be somewhere else on the line.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Force View Post
It's only logical to assume....if the midrange on the stock speaker was taking bass frequencies, it would have killed the midrange. Yet, when I disassembled the speakers, there was no crossover inside of them. So, it must be somewhere else on the line.
I still need to remove the back seat to install the rear speakers.
I'll probably rip the front end apart too, and look for the crossovers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page