NITROUS! - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

okay so, i know i will most likley get flamed for this, so i'll do my best to explain why im set on getting nitrous.

when i first bought my celica, i knew it was a gt, and i knew it would be a quick car, but by no means FAST. so i figured i would do intake, header, exhaust, then just do exterior mods, and do some other performance upgrades as the money came in. well, ive done exhaust, intake, and this is the 3rd car ive gone down this road with and i know when im done im gonna want more. i would like to boost my car, but i really dont have the money to do that lying around. plus, knowing my driving style, i would be lucky to break 20mpg. (i shift at 5k way too much. i know, im a horrible person) so i thought, hey, ill just get a 50 wet shot (i read wet shot is best on celicas. if anyone wants to know why i can do a pretty good job explaining it i suppose.) why would i do such a thing? well, okay, so im sorta into racing. mostly at the track, but i live in this TINY ass town, and past 9pm there is literally no traffic. so i figures ill get nos, because then when i want to go fast, i can. when i dont need nos (going to school) i dont have to use it. so i keep my great gas mileage, but when i want my balls to the wall i can place them there with ease.

wow, long rant. anyways, whats a good site to do furthur research on nos. or, offhand, what kind of gains should i expect from a wet 50 shot? how long will i spray before i have to refil? how much will it cost? and finally where would be a good place online to browse this sort of thing.

thanks! nitrous gurus feel free to post up some info, im new to this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:47 PM

Im pretty sure that everyone looks into NOS. But for a celica with no serious Internal modifications done to the engine, i would suggest getting between 50-75 DRY shot. A WET shot is typically for cars with major upgrades or Drag Cars because it is injected into the intake runner and not through the stock fuel injectors like a DRY shot would. It is hard to say how long it would take for you to refil? i mean there are many sizes of bottles, and depending on how much you use it would also be a factor. You can get a 75 DRY shot with everything included and a 10LBS bottle (which is alot) for 500 or for about 200 more you can get a 75 WET shot. You can look anywhere for info, prices, and pictures of NOS.. just go to google and type in "NOS"! well i hope i have been of some help.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Old Timer

hnknrob runs a 75 shot wet kit on his otherwise stock 5th gen. You may want to ask him about it, he is a nitrous guru.

From what I've heard I think you are on the right track spending the extra cash for a wet kit to keep things safe.

Quote:
A WET shot is typically for cars with major upgrades or Drag Cars because it is injected into the intake runner and not through the stock fuel injectors like a DRY shot would[/B]
You might wanna research "NOS" a bit further...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 Toyota Celica ST (sold) | 2006 Pontiac GTO (sold) | 1988 Toyota Supra
"Who needs a horn when you have exhaust and a gas pedal?"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Guru

fyi - "NOS" is a trade name (Nitrous Oxide Systems). If you google "NOS" you will most likely only come back with info on that particular company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

sparkletts, you are wrong:

celicas(i know 7th gens, who knows about other gens) have no fuel return lines. on most cars the extra fuel that is sent just goes back in a fuel return line, on ours the correct ammount of fuel is sent. if you dont get a wet kit on a 7th gen, your car WILL run lean and it will burn up your pistons and valves. the extra fuel has to be added, if you use a dry kit you will not have enough fuel (because there is no extra fuel sent) i made the same mistake when i joined these forums, i told a guy to get a dry kit and boy was i wrong.

i also heard its a risk to run anything higher than a 50 shot, but a wet 50 shot on a 7th gen celica has literally no risk involved.

i still need a site to look at nitrous systems at.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Guru

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM

just to throw in my 2 cents, Nitrous Oxide is a oxidizer, all it does is drag more oxygen into the cylinder, Nitrous itself is not even explosive unless it's pressurized, which once you release it to the engine it's no long pressurized. I've always been an engine builder and not one for Nitrous. However, seen some people run Nitrous on mostly stock engines, and there is almost always issues. Nitrous is neat in the fact it reduces temperatures generally.

and most people that have no mods will/should use a dry shot. and a small one at that. One of my buddies justified buying his supercharger for his 7th Gen by "complete powerband increase, build to handle the extra power, and how many times will I get to refill my bottle until I get to the point that it's cost me as much as a supercharger." so a bit more money up front but long term effects :-)

7th gens do well SC, and we've taken it apart a few times and it still looks good.

again just my opinion :-) save the money, it'll be worth the wait. And if you decide to spray with the SC, remember that Nitrous looooves compression
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

um.. again... you should never use a dry shot on a celica.

and thanks for the sites jedi

edit: guys, the problem is, i WANT to sc/turbo my car, but i cant, i really just dont have enough money! i have no job! if somone would direct me to a really really cheap turbokit, i would buy it.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM

no offense but wouldn't no job also mean you couldn't refill the bottle?

Nitrous isn't a forever charge. I see people all the time that out of Nitrous go home. I just don't think that'd be very fun but that's just me.

****, a header would even take you a long way towards better performance so I'm told.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally posted by McGraw@Sep 28 2005, 04:17 PM
no offense but wouldn't no job also mean you couldn't refill the bottle?

Nitrous isn't a forever charge. I see people all the time that out of Nitrous go home. I just don't think that'd be very fun but that's just me.

****, a header would even take you a long way towards better performance so I'm told.
im getting a header as well. and i can make money, i just dont have an official job.

my cai is in the mail and i allready have cat back exhaust. next thing im getting is a header. oh well, ill think about nitrous, maybe ill just stick to bolt ons.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page