User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Okay... 1zzfe.. naturally use a lot of oil?

First gor the car, burned it. Rebuilt engine, leaked it. Bought a brand new, monkey wrench racing built 1zzfe, and it's still going through oil fast.

The harder you drive the more oil you naturally use? Only logical explanation I can think of. This engine has literally 0 issues..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage

**** man, I dunno. What's the oil burn rate? Have you tried 10W-40 to see if it helps? Maybe try a higher end synthetic like Redline?

2000 GTS 6-speed. Performance Mods: Apexi Power FC, BC Racing DR coilovers, Injen CAI, Catback exhaust, EBC 'USR' rotors, Carbotech XP8 pads, Stoptech brake/clutch lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Exedy stage 2 clutch, Mishimoto radiator, Moroso oil pan, 11# flywheel, Braille 11.5# car battery, Energy urethane suspension/motor bushings, BFGoodrich G-force tires.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

I'm on my last break in oil change. Doing a 1500 mile one. About 1100 miles and I put a quart in it.

Like...I can't imagine being something with the rings, or MWR messing that up.. the engine is even sleeved. Any way to test and see what it might be?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If it isn't leaking out the bottom of the car and making small puddles in your garage, then it must be burning it. If it's burning it, then it's one of the usual suspects....piston rings, valve seals, head gasket. Sorry you're going through this man : /

2000 GTS 6-speed. Performance Mods: Apexi Power FC, BC Racing DR coilovers, Injen CAI, Catback exhaust, EBC 'USR' rotors, Carbotech XP8 pads, Stoptech brake/clutch lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Exedy stage 2 clutch, Mishimoto radiator, Moroso oil pan, 11# flywheel, Braille 11.5# car battery, Energy urethane suspension/motor bushings, BFGoodrich G-force tires.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Any way to test and narrow it down to one? I hate to think monkey wrench racing as well known as they are, built me a POS shortblock. The head was a reman factored one from my first rebuild, so hoping there's an issue in there, not the block.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

And your exhaust isn't smoking right? Maybe....just maybe that means the oil isn't being combusted when it is lost, which implies, in theory, that it is entering the exhaust after the combustion cycle. That would imply valve seal failure....since if it was piston ring failure, the oil would definitely be exposed to the combustion stroke and the full heat of it, burning the oil off. If from valve seal failure, it is still getting hot exhaust gas, but isn't enduring anywhere near the same heat or pressure as it would from piston ring oil loss. That would explain no exhaust smoke despite loosing a lot of oil. Again, just a theory.....

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

The inside of my exhaust is black. Which is normal I believe, but no smoke, not even on startup.

My cat is bad and makes a lot of pops when u let off, but I know that usually goes bad from problems ahead. It's been bad for a loooooong time though

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page