User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default emergency brake problems

I bought a 94 celica gt about six months ago. i have had the e brake cable unhooked almost the whole time i have owned it. when i first bought the car it worked for a while the it acted like it would randomly catch after the brake was dissengaged. i took it to a mechanic who replaced the pads, springs on the drum, and the cable and i still had the problem. I didnt kno if any of you ever had this problem and if you did what you did to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 PM

same thing is happening to me right now! but i just need to pull the lever further
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

I have a 95 gt convertible... Just engaged the emergency brake for the first time... then when i drove off later, i heard clunking, and smelled burning brake pads on the back passenger side wheel.

Does anyone have any resources as to troubleshooting these emergency brake problems? The best info I could come up with is this pic:

Now, I have a question about the spring/shoe assembly... At 12 o'clock are the springs, at 6 o'clock is the adjustment star wheel (accessed externally through removable rubber plug on rotor), but what are at 3 and 9 o'clock? I can see them through the access hole in my rotor, and they're wiggly. Should they be wiggly??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Guru

I had the same problem, I could never adjust them properly. Rather than cutting a cable I removed the assemblies and never put them back on. They used to catch and drag until about 30-35 mph when disengaged. I think they just had a bad design on them. Every Toyota I have ever owned has e-brake issues.

Currently restoring a 1994 Celica GT to her former glory
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowman345 View Post
I have a 95 gt convertible... Just engaged the emergency brake for the first time... then when i drove off later, i heard clunking, and smelled burning brake pads on the back passenger side wheel.

Does anyone have any resources as to troubleshooting these emergency brake problems? The best info I could come up with is this pic:

Now, I have a question about the spring/shoe assembly... At 12 o'clock are the springs, at 6 o'clock is the adjustment star wheel (accessed externally through removable rubber plug on rotor), but what are at 3 and 9 o'clock? I can see them through the access hole in my rotor, and they're wiggly. Should they be wiggly??
Burning brake pads indicates improper installation or that your caliper is hanging up on you. The e-brake doesnt have "pads" so to speak and pushes outward on the inside of the rotor. If your smelling pad e-brake isnt your culprit.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil bender View Post
Burning brake pads indicates improper installation or that your caliper is hanging up on you. The e-brake doesnt have "pads" so to speak and pushes outward on the inside of the rotor. If your smelling pad e-brake isnt your culprit.
If the e brake is stuck on for some reason ie: the cable rusted out and broke when you pulled it. You would be burning the pads because the brake works by mechanically applying the rear drum brakes. There's no other mechanism that applies the e brake. It's possible that they could have been installed incorrectly but if the problem only occursd once the e brake was applied and the brake wasn't previously disassembled, then it's unlikely that that's the problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl.mo View Post
If the e brake is stuck on for some reason ie: the cable rusted out and broke when you pulled it. You would be burning the pads because the brake works by mechanically applying the rear drum brakes. There's no other mechanism that applies the e brake. It's possible that they could have been installed incorrectly but if the problem only occursd once the e brake was applied and the brake wasn't previously disassembled, then it's unlikely that that's the problem.
I guess thats true, I forget the celicas dont have rotors factory on the rear in all of them.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast

I did my own rear e-brake assembly. Pain in the rear to work with. The 3o'clock and 9 o'clock springs are needed for sure. Wiggly? I mean, they should have some motion, but not about to fall off wiggly.... The brakes are going to take hours and hours to dial in a get adjusted. Took me probably 8 hours of my own labor to get mine feeling right with all new brake shoes, springs, tensioners etc. You likely have some rusty parts back there and the only thing that will give you proper e-brake feel is time time time, some testing, and more time. Or if you're going to a mechanic.... it'll take $$$$. either way, ensuring all parts are moving freely is an absolute must
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM

I know this is an ancient post but nothing goes away on the net. I just bought a 95 Celica convertible and am having the e-brake issue. By the way they do have pads on the e-brake shoe. The set up is a mini drum for the e-brake incorporated with the disc for the normal breaking.
I was wishing someone had solved the problem but they are easy to mess with so I guess it's just gonna be trial and error

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page