LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Power Steering Pulley Shaft '96 GT

Hi all,

In trying to locate a loud screech in my steering, I noticed that an excessive amount of play on my power steering pulley. It is a 3G-SE engine. I would say that the total play is close to 1/2", and from what I can tell (from the very limited visibility/accessibility), the shaft and pulley are moving together.

Is this repairable with a new bearing/ seals on the shaft, or is this going to have to be a whole new pump?

I would really appreciate your help as the noise is almost unbearable! Also, if you think that the source of this noise is not originating from here: please do give me your thoughts. The noise happens when I get about 3/4 of a turn of the steering wheel when still/idling, and then almost at lock when actually driving. The screech is accompanied by a kickback in the steering wheel, and I am then able to turn the wheel an inch or so more, before it happens again (and on and on...). Not something I have come across before, hence the long post.

Thanks!
Michael

Last edited by Michael Oliphant; 05-29-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: make an addition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page