LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 1996 GT Liftback Camshaft position sensor

Hey guys,

I think I'm due for a project but unsure as to what I'm getting myself into with this one. So... I'll leave it to you that's dealt with this before.

Long time friend is selling. Says it has issues with the camshaft position sensor. The car will run when you first start it. But let the engine get warm, cut it off, and you can't restart it.

He's selling it for $500. Interior and exterior are in better shape than that price but I think he's just trying to get rid of it. According to him the engine has been rebuilt. He also has a spare engine. Here's his ad:

"1996 celica for sale, has issues with camshaft position sensor but im tired of replacing parts. Spare 3sgte engine with lots of parts to go with, take em if you want em."

You tell me. With a moderate knowledge of mechanical and engine could this be something I could line out?

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. I welcome them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Gotta add in more information I've obtained. Never knew it was throwing a code until I went over after work. This very well could point me in the right direction. Or maybe not... he said he did replace the distributor. Which according to this engine the camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor. Correct me if you know different.

I'm attaching the screen from the OBDII reader he hooked up.

Has anyone heard that the camshaft position sensor would cause it to start but then when it's hot not start. Also it looked like he got an aftermarket distibutor. I thought I read somewhere that was one of the parts that you don't replace with aftermarket since it will cause issues.

Any thoughts on what I should tackle first when I get it Friday? Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4952.jpg (109.8 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Another example on the coolant temp and feedback from the gauge. Differs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4992.jpg (128.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4993.jpg (60.9 KB, 1 views)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

As this saga continues, When I moved the battery from the back to the front I'm beginning to wonder if it just wasn't grounded properly or what. Because as it is, it's been starting, running, and driving all weekend. When it was sold to me that was the main issue with it. Now I'm moving onto the coolant gauge. Still unsure what to make of that. Figure out why the horn isn't working. Most likely a fuse. Replace a running light and and windshield wipers before testing everything and going to get it inspected.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Pulled the distributor for a swap since I found it's actually from Autozone and for me it's a good place to start. Another new distributor and if that doesn't cure it I'll go down the rest of the list with the code P0340. First setup I've seen with the camshaft position sensor in the distributor itself.

Previous owner did his own exhaust work and it need new pipe to be welded in instead of the bolt on cover he was using. Got that done locally for only $75 yesterday. Sounds a lot better.

Learning something new everyday.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page