Toyota Celica Forum banner

Lies and slander in the 6GC convertible manual on quarter window changes

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fletcher22 
#1 ·
This weekend I had the pleasure of spending two days changing out the quarter window bearings on my 1998 GT convertible. I thought the difficulty of this job was overhyped, but boy was I wrong. I went into the job pretty much blind but I got it done.

In the convertible manual on page BO-4 step 5, they say removing the quarter window consists of pulling a cotter pin and a washer to release the rear window assembly from the motor. I WISH it was a **** cotter pin. I had a setup that consisted of an aluminum T nut screwed onto the metal plate that attaches to the window, and boy was it awful to get that screw on and off. Does anyone here actually have cotter pins instead of T nuts that hold the quarter window assembly in place? I was half tempted to drill a hole for a cotter pin and just do it that way, but I didn't.

By the way, if anyone has any questions about the job feel free to ask away. I didn't take many pictures, but here's a picture from the manual:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, my ‘99 celica gt convertible is currently at the mechanics getting the little white window rollers replaced in the drivers side rear quarter window. He is having a heck of a time getting it adjusted now that he’s got it back together. He said he has been doing it with the top down. Now he’s wondering if that’s the issue and he should have the top up when adjusting the window. Any suggestions? Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.