Toyota Celica Forum banner

ST205 In USA - MR2 Parts Interchange?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ShinjiIkari0601 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'd like to get your input on the possibility of parts interchange between a 1994 Celica GT-Four ST205, and a 1994 MR-2 Turbo SW20.

I recently purchased an ST205. Currently it's in good mechanical and physical shape. It has about 70k on the clock. Being an import, I don't have any maintenance history. Living in the USA, there's no way to order parts locally for an ST205. I know of a few vendors overseas that will ship to USA, so I do have a fallback plan. But, I'm curious whether common components will interchange between the US market 1994 MR2 Turbo and the Japanese market ST205. Given that they both use the 3SGTE, I'm hoping that some of the less rare bits will.

The timing set should be replaced at about 60k, and no clue if this has been done. While doing this job, I'd also like to replace the water pump.

Does anyone have any experience on whether items like timing belts, tensioner pulley and tensioner, water pump, etc., will interchange?

I think the water pumps may be the same, but that the housing that the pump mounts in are different (I think the outlet in the MR2 housing points one direction, while the outlet of the ST205 housing points the opposite direction).

Would appreciate any input anyone may have.

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.