User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default 2 Din radio install 5th gen

[QUOTE=codestar7;10575273]I'm curious, have one of our crew has attempted a double din Vid / stereo install in a 5th gen stock? The hole looks big enough, I'm not sure about the space behind. It could be a bit dicey.

That car should take a 2 din without a problem, just do not use a kit only the factory brackets off the Pocket and radio, I think that one also had a cup holder.
If I remember correctly you can keep the cup holder on top but the radio sits so low its hard to see a screen, wasn't that about like the Pasao?
I did high end car audio for 17 years in retail its hard to remember every car I've done but Toyotas of that era you always used the stock mounting brackets, and the Pocket the pocket is 1 din and the radio is 1 din if it has both its 2 Din.
My 1988 Supra is the same way you could get them with a cassette and CD below of no cd player. Back then I put a pullout in mine and cut up the dash doing it. Alpine and Kenwood got smart and made removable trim rings, you won't use a trim ring 1 din or 2 din. and most of the time you won't need a kit until you get to the gen7 model in 2000.

I've owned 1973-2001 celicas ecpt the 86 to 93 models thats every body style. 1985 was my Favorite one. So far the Gen 7 has been the best one.
I would have liked to have the 1989 all trac turbo it was a monster and fast stock. "We don't drive automatics I don't know how to shift them and I can't find the clutch"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix.tx View Post
I looked at that kit, isn't it two spacers that fill the gaps on the side? I felt like with the head unit I had I wanted something to fill the gap on the top edge and was one piece.

Here's what mine looks like.
That looks good too. The picture I posted is the actual Toyota original face plate with out anything in it. They had room for the twin cup holder pop out and a CD and a tape player. But I don't think if I put a double din in there I can use the cup holder. I've found a couple of inexpensive double dins with adjustable LCD'd so I could see it easily from the drivers seat. They fold up or down slightly. Wouldn't it be great if they made a double din that would tilt to the left and up. I suppose I could just put in a flip up that covered the vents when it was out. They are quite a bit more expensive though. I'm thinking name brand.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

That's a great Idea to switch the cup holder to the top then put a din and a half in that tilts! I'll have to think on that one! Might get messy with drinks over it though...Hmmm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page