Cruise Control Question........... - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Cruise Control Question...........

Doesn't work, But everything is sound. Push the switch and light comes on "Cruise".....Tubing intact, Codes are all good, And actuator is holding vacuum....Still nothing......Is there a relay hidden somewhere that only the Toyota Gods know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I say just do with out. I have had cruise control in almost every car i have owned, and have never once used it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Obsessed

Garage

yea just do without it, when i first got my celica, the cruise control didnt work but after 2 weeks of driving up and down on the freeway i turned it on and it worked i just went over the speed limit let off the gas and then when the needle hit the speed i wanted i simply pushed down on it. but i just do with out it. just as i do with out the power steering, i still need to take out power steering pump. its dead weight.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Guru

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclektq View Post
Doesn't work, But everything is sound. Push the switch and light comes on "Cruise".....Tubing intact, Codes are all good, And actuator is holding vacuum....Still nothing......Is there a relay hidden somewhere that only the Toyota Gods know about?
ECLEKTQ, I know this thread is like 8 months old, but did you ever solve the cruise control problem? My GTS has the motor-driven actuator, but I've got the same issue—everything looks fine, "cruise" light shows on dash, but it never will "grab" the throttle.

I've thoroughly tested the actuator and the wheel-mounted cruise switch, and everything checks out there. Brake and clutch pedal switches are good, too.

It used to work just fine, a few months back, and I really need it: LONG commute to work. I'd love to hear an update on this thread, if any solution was found!

Side note to others: It kind of defeats the purpose of a forum to respond to repair questions with answers like, "I never even use that." or "Just live with it broken." Lame...

93 GTS

Last edited by ctgriffi; 05-04-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Style changes..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Old Timer

Garage

same here i would like to know why cruise control dont work i tried it like 2 days ago just to learn how to use it and it didnt work i turned it on and try setting it to the speed i wanted and nothing
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Guru

Garage

i've actually never tried mine. maybe i'll test it out next time im on the highway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-92 GT Convertible-DD, A work in progress. Bought this car because I was in a bind and needed a car for a couple grand, I was unaware of how much I would love her!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Guru

Garage

Heard this from a Toyota mechanic recently: it's very common on these older cars for a wire from the cc switch to get pinched or cut down inside the steering column, especially if you've got the tilt-wheel.

So, that's my next project...I feel like I've already ruled out most of the other common problems. I know that many people don't use cruise, but I can't stand not having it when I'm on the highway for long stretches!

93 GTS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgriffi View Post
Heard this from a Toyota mechanic recently: it's very common on these older cars for a wire from the cc switch to get pinched or cut down inside the steering column, especially if you've got the tilt-wheel.

So, that's my next project...I feel like I've already ruled out most of the other common problems. I know that many people don't use cruise, but I can't stand not having it when I'm on the highway for long stretches!
It might be more usable in Tennessee, but here in Northern California, there is no need for it whatsoever. Too many shitty drivers, potholes and sharp turns for me to ever use it lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-92 GT Convertible-DD, A work in progress. Bought this car because I was in a bind and needed a car for a couple grand, I was unaware of how much I would love her!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Guru

Garage
Default Fixed. Lovin' it!

In case anybody still cares about this issue...I finally got my cruise working again. For those of you that are trying to troubleshoot the system in your own cars, here are the usual suspects:

-Bad or misadjusted switches on the brake or clutch pedals, as well as the parking brake.
-Pinched wires in the steering column, especially if you've got the tilt wheel.
-Bad actuator (electric or vacuum-driven)
-Bad CC computer

I went down through this list over the course of the last few months. (There is a 22 page technical document that covers how to troubleshoot the 93 Toyota Celica cruise system. You can find it over on Celicatech.com.) After checking and double-checking all the typical issues mentioned above, I pretty much ruled them all out and landed on this: bad vehicle speed sensor. The technical doc I mentioned, as well as the standard Chilton's repair manual, both have detailed instructions for testing the VSS, once you've got it removed. Mine failed the test repeatedly, which confirmed my suspicions...

The VSS has a 3-wire plug and mounts on top of the tranny (speedo cable connects to the top of it). It's a big PITA to remove and not a cheap part, but, after replacing it, my cruise instantly worked againójust like new. Best price I found on the part was at Midway Auto Supply, Dallas TX; total was $157 w/shipping, and it was here within 3 business days. Part number at Midway is: SC393.

Note: I had to remove the intake, air box, charcoal canister, etc. to do the sensor replacement. I decided to swap out the original, Toyota fuel filter at the same time, since I had good access to it...turns out, that job was an even bigger PITA! Beware! Just make sure you have a good 14mm flare nut wrench and a big can of PB-Blaster, if you attempt the fuel filter replacement.

93 GTS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Obsessed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

I know all too well how much of a PITA the fuel filter is to change.

1992 Celica GT - DD
5s-fe, 5spd, pw,pl,pm, sunroof, Grant wheel,LED domes, CAI...HIDs coming soon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page