User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

On my driver side door the door jamb switch went out. Whenever i open the door it doesnt turn on the inside lights. I wanna order a new one its just i dont know how to replace it. the wire goes into the body. Does anyone know how to get it out and put a new one in. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toyota Celica 1990 GT-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 AM

Those puppies are held in place by a bolt on the inside of the car. You've got to remove the interior trim panel behind the jamb switch. I think its an 8 or 10 mm bolt. Don't tear that rubber cover cause it the only thing keeping the moisture out. You might be able to salvage your old one with a flushing with penetrating oil (PB, WD40, etc.) Good luck

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Guru

yeah both of mine went wonky but i like them not working, that way i can still roll up the windows after the jackass in the passenger seat opens their door haha

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Kit Fox

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

QUOTE (Max Vador @ Dec 2 2009, 04:25 AM)
Quote:
yeah both of mine went wonky but i like them not working, that way i can still roll up the windows after the jackass in the passenger seat opens their door haha[/B]
Agreed. I actually wrapped the ground to mine in electrical tape so they wouldn't work. I hate the courtesy lights inside the car. I don't need people watching me in the middle of the night. If I want it on, I'll turn it on.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:04 PM

I just did this with mine - you don't actually need to replace the switch (I thought $20 was a bit overpriced), since it's basically just a wire that connects to Chassis. The main reason for failure is corrosion inside - as you probably figured out by now, it's just a spring mounted slider that, when pushed out, bridges the copper track to the steel body.

So basically, to fix the light issue (presuming that it is corrosion and that you didn't somehow hack off the pin) you gently remove the rubber sheath, unbolt the pin switch, remove the pin, use sandpaper (I had to fold it and use an ice pick to get enough friction inside the body) to work on the contacts until they turn copper colored again, and then reverse steps to reassemble.

QUOTE (PongPong21 @ Nov 12 2009, 10:53 AM)
Quote:
On my driver side door the door jamb switch went out. Whenever i open the door it doesnt turn on the inside lights. I wanna order a new one its just i dont know how to replace it. the wire goes into the body. Does anyone know how to get it out and put a new one in. Thanks[/B]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

after a hour or so of trying to get the trim off i finally got it disconnected and am getting a new switch from a parts car. it was toast i opened it up and the copper clip was bent and broken so i had to get another one. thanks guys for the help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toyota Celica 1990 GT-S
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 AM

Default replaced my door jamb switch

Resurrecting a very old thread...I ordered an aftermarket part #1S3664 . Toyota is #84231-32050 or 84231-30110. Expect to pay $25- $40 a piece.

1991 GT Convertible
reborn 139k 04/2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page