5th gen Celica or 240sx? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 AM
crisscutfries

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

i'm gonna buy a car soon but i wanna get some info about the cars first... this will be my first car and i want something i can stick with for a while....

what are the goods and bads to having a 5th gen celica? and like what are some common issues that the celica has?... i really like the celica but... 240sx i heard are pretty nice too... can you guys help? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if your looking for reliability go for the celica.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-16x7 gts rims
-sprint 1.5in lowering springs
-Hids
-iceman cai
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Obsessed

go with the 240 i used to own one and i wish i would have never sold it dont get me wrong i love my 5th gen but the 240s are alot faster and funner to drive and they make alot more aftermarket stuff for a 240 and there isent have as much aftermarket stuff for a 5th gen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 AM

The celica will be way more reliable, Ive gotten 250K miles out of mine so far without any major problems. 5th Gens handle pretty good too. Another plus is Toyota used the 2.2L 5SFE engine in cars from 90-99 so parts are plentiful. (I dont know much regarding the 1.6L ST engine, but Im sure its just as reliable)

Only downside is the GT & GT-S 5SFE engine arent really performance platforms. Theyre economy engines so you cant really reliably turbo them without some intermal upgrades

good luck
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to celestialgranturismo Send a message via Yahoo to celestialgranturismo

And even that is academic. a 5SFE can be turboed without any modifications to stock internals, or the engine can be swapped.

Since its a first car, I would recommend a 1992-3 GT coupe with a 5-speed. The 240SX is a great car, fast, handles well, and isnt unreliable per se, but everyone crashes their first - and for a beginner, a rear wheel drive car thats fast is gonna crash worse than a front driver thats quick. just my idiot opinion, go with the Celica

#1 1990 Celica GT Coupe (blue pearl) - Blown Motor
#2 1990 Celica GT Liftback (maroon) - Sold
#3 1990 Celica GT Liftback (super red) - Totalled
#4 1994 Celica GT Liftback (turquoise) - CURRENT
#5 1995 Celica GT Convertible (black) - BUYING
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
crisscutfries

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

alright thanks guys =D yer the best

so the thing is my friends found me a 240 with 190k on it... but it supposedly being kept in top shape... and i've been looking for a 5th gen celica for sedimental reasons...

but yeah man.... personally i think the celica is much prettier than the 240... ooooo well... thanks guys

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to celestialgranturismo Send a message via Yahoo to celestialgranturismo

Actually, I like them both. 190k is rather high mileage for any car, unless your getting it for free. A celica with 120-140k is not hard to find for around $2200, and will last you 3+ years depending on how you treat her. Make sure you get a 5-speed, and get a GT or GT-S. There are several threads on this site on what to look for before you buy a Celi, but the most common problems are not biggies. Seventeen people b*tching about a broken climate control knob says something about the build quality of these cars, but have a trusted mechanic check it out thoroughly anyway --better to spend 25 bucks now than 250 down the road.

and yes, they do make some aftermarket stuff for this car if you wanna go down that road, basically intake exhaust and header bolt on stuff, but turbo kits and turbo swaps are the best bang for the buck.

#1 1990 Celica GT Coupe (blue pearl) - Blown Motor
#2 1990 Celica GT Liftback (maroon) - Sold
#3 1990 Celica GT Liftback (super red) - Totalled
#4 1994 Celica GT Liftback (turquoise) - CURRENT
#5 1995 Celica GT Convertible (black) - BUYING
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Guru

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by celestialgranturismo@Jul 7 2006, 07:15 AM
Actually, I like them both. 190k is rather high mileage for any car, unless your getting it for free. A celica with 120-140k is not hard to find for around $2200, and will last you 3+ years depending on how you treat her. Make sure you get a 5-speed, and get a GT or GT-S. There are several threads on this site on what to look for before you buy a Celi, but the most common problems are not biggies. Seventeen people b*tching about a broken climate control knob says something about the build quality of these cars, but have a trusted mechanic check it out thoroughly anyway --better to spend 25 bucks now than 250 down the road.

and yes, they do make some aftermarket stuff for this car if you wanna go down that road, basically intake exhaust and header bolt on stuff, but turbo kits and turbo swaps are the best bang for the buck.
If you plan to drive it in the winter would can forget the 240. Besides the fact that it will rust right before your eyes it is comically difficult to get anywhere in the snow with it. If it's going to be a summer only car, and you can find one that the rear strut towers haven't already rusted out of, then go for it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 91celicastx@Jul 7 2006, 01:09 AM
but the 240s are alot faster and funner to drive
Never listen to someone who says funner. lol

In actuality I like the 5th Generation Celica better than the 240. However, I think you'll find more aftermarket parts for the 240. On the flip side. The Toyota is much more reliable.

So you must decide what you want in a car, and then find the one that suits you.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 AM

just get a 240SX (im sorry celica forgive me)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page