Toyota Celica Forum banner

ST vs. GT vs. GTS

77K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  No Name Indy 
#1 ·
People, im so tired of reading new topics every other day about the differences between the ST GT and GT-S celicas and having to explain to each and every person the differences. So here it is. Read this before you ask any more "what is the difference..." questions.

Celica ST : 4AFE, DOHC, 16V. 105 hp, 1.6L. 4 Lug, 4 x 100mm wheels Your slow economy car. Came in the coupe model only with no power anything. Only body difference between this model and the GT coupes are the black door ding guards and mirrors. Overall the slowest celica out of the 5th generation.

Celica GT : 5SFE, DOHC, 16V, 130-135hp 2.2L. 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels The baseline sportscar. The GT came in either the coupe or the hatchback models. While both versions have the same engine, the coupe weighs about 100 pounds lighter. GTs usually come with power steering, windows, locks. ABS, Cruse control, alloy wheels, the System 10 sound system was an option (however rare).

Celica GT-S ; 5SFE, DOHC, 16V 130-135hp 2.2L, 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels. The "sportiest" if the NA celicas. The GT-S only came in the hatchback model with the flared wider finders in the front and back. Came with all power options of the GT standard, also the System 10 system is more common in these models, however still rare. Basically the GT-S could be summed up as the nonturbo AllTrac model. The gagues are different than the GT, the speedometer goes to 150 mph while the GT's only goes to 120. The GT-S's gagues also came with a battery voltmeter on the left side (where the boost gague for the AllTrac would be) one the left side of the panel where the GT only had the fuel and engine temp gagues.

As for speed, the GT and GT-S models both have the same horsepower, engine, transmission, suspension, gearing, EVERYTHING. The ONLY difference between these two models are the options the car came with and the wideness of the finders. The GT-S does not go to 140 mph, both are speed limited to 115mph. Both have the same hp rating, the same gearing, so both should run nearly the same 1/4 mile times. (by nearly i mean within .05 seconds of eachother)

Also, all the celicas did go through a body change in 92. None of the perforamce changed. The 5SFE in the GT and GT-Ss received a coilless ignition and a supposed 5hp increase, but there is no true gain between the two engines. The only thing that changed in 92 was the front bumper and rear taillights. The bumper went from a single "mouth" front bumper with foglights inside to a more open front with the foglights spearate on the sides of the opening. The rear lights got a different color layout with black or maroon dividers instead of the colors being side by side. Other than that, the years are all the same.

See less See more
#4 ·
This should be a sticky for sure...
Not all the Celicas were governed however, The Canadian version will do 140 or so, but it takes alot of road.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Hammer@Aug 1 2005, 03:17 PM
This should be a sticky for sure...
Not all the Celicas were governed however, The Canadian version will do 140 or so, but it takes alot of road.
Yes, the Canadian versions are usually different, due to different laws. I know my 90 GT-S does NOT have its governer removed, and I've gotten it up to 205 km/h (roughly 128mph) before I saw a white crown vic and got scared... turned out to be an old man, haha. But it was still climbing, so no doubt it could have reached somewhere around 140mph

Also, besides the governed speed, there is other slight differences:
(Quote from my Haynes Celica 86-93 FWD Repair manual)

Idle speed:
1990 5S-FE
US model 700-750rpm
Canadian Manual 800-850rpm
Canadian Auto 750-800rpm

I think this is because either its colder up here, or because of emissions laws.

#11 ·
ST came only in coupe form, and had the four-lug pattern until 1992.

GTS, because it got the same body as the All-trac, got the same wheels.

Until 1992, GTS had the same 255mm front rotors as the GT, then it gained the 277mm rotors (as did the GT) that had been on the All-Trac, but not the All-trac's two-piston calipers. The rear rotors, on those cars which had them, remained at 269mm.

#12 ·
Originally posted by VTECKiller@Aug 1 2005, 01:48 PM

As for speed, the GT and GT-S models both have the same horsepower, engine, transmission, suspension, gearing, EVERYTHING.  The ONLY difference between these two models are the options the car came with and the wideness of the finders.  The GT-S does not go to 140 mph, both are speed limited to 115mph. 

Uh... I'm going to have to call bullshit on this. Maybe my car's an exception to the rule. I'm not 110% that it was bought in the US, but I'm pretty damned sure my Uncle, whom I bought it from, didn't go all the way from NJ to Canada to buy it.

And I've hit 145 in it, somewhere up in Montana, along I-94. It was a flat, level road... not downhill, as I'm sure some might suspect. Yeah, it took a while, and yeah, I was at around 6100 rpm, but I can assure you I don't have a govenor.

-Bret

Edit: It's a 1993 GT-S btw. No under-the-hood mods at all. This was before I replaced anything other than belts/plugs/etc. It had roughly 120k on it, at the time.

#14 ·
could some one possibly inform me as too what a sticky is??

#16 ·
Originally posted by pinamichael@Aug 2 2005, 05:57 AM
well ur car was not produced in the usa then. but don't call bs on somebody after it has been explain the not all celicas r equal.
How can I find out whether or not it was produced in the US?
I'm serious, I can't imagine my uncle having gone outside of the US to buy his car.

And I feel perfectly justified in calling BS, if someone is going to make a blanket statement that I have clearly proven (to myself, if no one else) is false.

-Bret

#17 ·
well do you have proof of this? you can sit here all day and say "well its not speed limited so it can go to 200000000 mph because the speedo goes up that high and i had a long stretch of road" but that doesnt make it a loggical statement. First off, the idea of giving a car enough road to go a certain speed is just dumb. Seriously, its like saying "my civic CX will go 140 because my speedo says so just as long as i can have it gunned for a long ammount of time". No, #### doesnt work that way. the car's power and gearing determine how fast a car can go. Good example is the FC RX-7s. No speed limiter, and theres still debate about how fast they can go stock given enough road. consensus is that the car stops pulling after 135-140. its just a simple fact that a car with only 135 hp (which is about 115 to the wheels) cannot power itself to that speed.

look at these videos and tell me the car is even pulling hard enough to reach 140 :

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Edouglas-...ms/mvi_0410.avi
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Edouglas-...ms/mvi_0412.avi

im sorry but i will have to say your wrong.

But thanks to everyone who pointed out what im missed and added more info. I dont claim to be perfect, this was all from memory.

#19 ·
thank u once again supra

#20 ·
Originally posted by Bret+Aug 2 2005, 03:12 PM-->QUOTE (Bret @ Aug 2 2005, 03:12 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-pinamichael
@Aug 2 2005, 05:57 AM
well ur car was not produced in the usa then. but don't call bs on somebody after it has been explain the not all celicas r equal.
How can I find out whether or not it was produced in the US?
I'm serious, I can't imagine my uncle having gone outside of the US to buy his car.

And I feel perfectly justified in calling BS, if someone is going to make a blanket statement that I have clearly proven (to myself, if no one else) is false.

-Bret [/B]
dude i think you should run a carfax report on your car. just cause your uncle bought it in the states doesn't mean it wasn't imported into the states. unless of course you wanna tell me he is the first owner & bought it off the sales room floor in 1993! vtechkiller know what he says and many people can back him up on that. you can't really say much about your car if your not the first owner, who know what the previous owner have done to it.

#21 ·
VTEC, why is your car so quiet?
I watched those videos, and I have to say, my car is roaring like a banshee at 110.

Anyhoo...
Yes, the speed is limited to 115, but barring even that, the redline will only get you to 130 IF the car has enough power to bring you there. I know that the car, even without a rev limiter, won't pull after 120. It just simply wouldn't work that way.

My dad has a Honda Accord with a 180 mph speedo. Trust me, that car will never hit 180.

#22 ·
Well, I know i've had my speedo straight down and just starting left before... I assume that is about 140 if you were to mark the speedo yourself... What the speed really is I have no idea.

As for the Celica not having enough pull to get to 140mph... This Video was on a pretty short, flat stretch near my house this spring and I let off it with plenty of go left in it. (my 80mph to 100mph, happens in the same time that Vtec's 80mph, gets to 90mph)

I don't really feel like arguing with people over what top speed these cars will do, because lets face it, some of them can be up to 15 years old, and we all know that after all those years, they probably don't all run like they could.

#23 ·
canadian destination 5th gens, didnt get speed limited. im not 100% sure if toyota even now has limiters on their canadian cars. i know my 01 r/t neon isnt limited (i did 130mph in it a few years ago), and ive been well over 110mph in my celi (you can ask my girlfriend if you want an eye witness) i've even done 120mph in my mom's 04 sebring when i was tailing a porsche driving home from maine (no i dont think the sebring is faster than the porsche, he was letting me tail him, my girlfriend also witnessed that).

as for where the one guy asking where his car was built, all celicas were built in japan. but they were built differently depending on what country they were going to. if you have a canadian car, the speedo will have km as the larger numbers and mph as the smaller ones.

#25 ·
Hey, I could be wrong. My speedometer may be off, I may be seeing things, mebbe it didn't originate in the states (I know my uncle was the first owner; I'll ask him where he bought it, sometime)... I just know what I saw with my own two eyes.

I didn't mean to sound so offensive with my original post; You guys don't know me, and I should've worded it differently (I use the 'call bullshit' line all the time, with people I know, so everyone's come to the understanding that I'm not being offensive; just being silly.), so I'm sorry for that; it just seems to me that, if my car were limited to 115, then I wouldn't have been able to reach 145. And I don't mean '5 miles worth of pickup to reach 145' either. I didn't mark miles, but I know it wasn't all that long. I've raced down I-78 at 120-130 plenty of times before, usually when some snotnosed Eclipse owner starts writing checks that they can't back. (Nothing against Eclipse owners. Just seems to me that, here in NJ, 90% of the owners think they're way cooler than they really are. They need a little 5th gen love to put them in their place.)

Again, mebbe my speedo is all sorts of whacked; I'll try to get some more solid statistics on it. Also, to reiterate; Sorry for being offensive, man. Don't take me seriously. Ever.

-Bret

Edit: Definitely not Canadian gauges .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.