LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Resuscitation: 91 GT on 1? Cylinder

91 GT, bought new, all major, minor work done by me.

Storyline for this resuscitation:

Taking her out to the soccer games, died on the highway.

IInitial road diagnostic, would crank and try to catch but with heavy stumble. Checked under hood: belts good, fluids good, nothing on the ground, no fuel, coolant, burn smells. Engine fuses look good.

Hhmm, it'll try to catch, wonder if it will.

Try starting with heavy pedal (open throttle), it starts! But needs lots of throttle adjustments just to keep idle. Got it in 1st and was able to drive the 2 miles to get home. At one point, the engine had a slightly better idle and enabled me to get to 2nd, but short lived. Take foot off pedal, it dies.

Got it home, weekend ahead.
Ideas:
- it turns over and runs, so basic mechanical and timing are good
- will chase spark etc. And check for oil on spark plug wells.

Onward. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM
Old Timer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage

How are ur cats my car would do that wen the lower cat clogged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Cat was already hollowed out. I'll check the muffler.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:01 AM
Old Timer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefiro View Post

U only had one cat? There is one in the header too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Old Timer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefiro View Post

Also have u checked the timing make sure it still lined up to tdc? Both crank and cam?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Rain, snow, threat of tornado slowed resuscitation this weekend... . .

- muffler has enough holes in it, there is no way it could be clogging up exhaust.

- timing light confirmed some signal on each wire. So distributor and ignitor are working (and the coil?)

- tried starter fluid in intake. No change. In fact, the only time it tried to catch, was when there was no starter fluid. Could it be flooded?

- pulled the plugs. 1&4 had a little bit of oil on the threads (leaking tubes?). All plugs had sign of unburnt and top of pistons were same. Plugs are getting signal but not firing?

(Background:. 330k. Original 91 head, machine shop rebuilt installed on a used lower block. The block bearings were checked, cylinders inspected, and new seals all around. Car was getting 27 with 80/20 hwy/city. It was burning oil , either due to valve seals (on rebuilt head?) or oil rings.)

- pulled the valve cover for grins. Valve train was tight, well oiled. Manual crank confirmed everything turning correctly with compression on each cylinder.

- Tried a noid light on 4 injector pigtail. No signal. Tried different light, nothing (using harbor freight set, maybe need a better noid light set? Which one specific?)

-got out the mechanics stethoscope. Confirmed 1,2,3 injectors are ticking while 4 was not as it was unplugged. Cranking did present plenty of fuel fumes (cover off, plugs out).

- while cranking during the injector testing, noticed some arcing. Plug wires were laying on filter and completing circuit to body.

- also noticed arcing from the pigtail to the coil. Pigtail wire into plug is loose, time for a new pigtail or plug. Hmmmm....

- ..... Wonder if the coil has gone. Confirmed fuel, confirmed air, confirmed (assumed) timing is right. Could be the coil is only sending a small voltage to the plug so they aren't firing.

Ran out of daylight. Time to test coil next.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Warm dry weekend

Coil checks out fine both primary and secondary circuit. Will need to replace that pigtail (maybe it's time for a while new harness. . . )

Pulled the cover and the upper timing belt cover. Confirmed that timing is good, everything moves cleanly. (I had changed belts in the past when pulling the motor then. Now I understand why Toyota charged be an arm and a leg to change it with the motor in the car, what a pain)

Noticed that the passenger undercover was "melted" a lot more than what I remember. Hhhmm, maybe the exhaust is blocked. When I get it out back together (replacing the power steering pump as well) I'll disconnect the exhaust at the car and try again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page