LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Very troublesome issue no one has been able to diagnose

Hey all.

I've got a 1992 STX, automatic. She went on an adventure thanks to someone stealing her, and now I've got something going on in the front end that I'm ready to pull my hair out over.

When I reach 55+mph, usually after having to floor it either to merge or go around some slowpoke, it feels like either I have a flat or the front end is coming apart on me. I can feel it in the steering wheel and not just the front end. Stopping makes it feel like my rotors are badly, badly warped - felt in the brake pedal also. Once I've sat for a minute, it goes away. No shaking, no bad vibration in the brakes at all. Drives like normal. It doesn't do it consistently, really.

My brakes have been done very recently. Rotors are fine.

Tires are balanced and have been rotated recently also.

Tie rods, axles, struts are fine. Everything is tight. Motor mounts are good. Front end has been aligned, rack is new.

The roomie brought up fuel pump issues, but that wouldn't make my brakes vibrate like they're coming apart when I stop I would think.

Can anyone here advise what to look at next? I've had this car since 2006. She's taken me a lot of places, and I'm by no means ready to give up on her yet.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Have you jacked it up and checked for lossness? The thief may have run it up on a curb or something.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Sefiro, yeah, it's been up and checked. I had the tire guys check everything when they did the wheel balance/rotation. They said everything was tight, nothing loose or worrisome. I'm going to take it to my regular mech Friday and have him drive it hard and then check the bearings, hubs, CV joints, struts, tie rods, and axles one more time. It seems to really act up after I've had to hammer it, though it has done it on long distances at 55+mph.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds like it is transmission time.

92celicaGT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

DmanM, it's the front end. My mechanic told me struts, lower control arms, two motor mounts, and rotors. The roomie doesn't want me to keep fixing this car either, so I'm car shopping this weekend looks like. I hate it, I love this car but parts are getting really hard to find (and expensive when I do find them).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Guru

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAutumn View Post
DmanM, it's the front end. My mechanic told me struts, lower control arms, two motor mounts, and rotors. The roomie doesn't want me to keep fixing this car either, so I'm car shopping this weekend looks like. I hate it, I love this car but parts are getting really hard to find (and expensive when I do find them).
You previously said your rotors, struts, etc., were all fine. How is it a mechanic now disagrees with you? And if no symptoms existed before the theft, but they now exist after you got your car back (and it wasn't gone that long), that seems like an unusual amount of parts all failing at the same time - not likely at all. Is your mechanic giving you the best advice for your benefit, or for his? Obviously, if something isn't obvious, replacing all possible parts has a reasonably good chance to resolve the one thing that is truly the problem.

If you haven't already done so, take your car to a tire place that balances using "road force" equipment. If I were to guess, I would think your thief hit a curb, and your wheel is bent a little, and you existing parts are doing their best to not get the vibration transmitted, but at times, the resonance gets through. Road force balancing would be the only way to detect if a wheel has a small wobble that I know of - traditional balancing doesn't ID a slightly bent wheel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

93celicaconv, the tire place that did the road balancing (yes, road force balancing because I told them I thought it was a wheel or bad tire) told me it was fine. Not my regular mechanic, who had it for a full day and actually drove it to diagnose. Also, this issue didn't start until a good 6 months after I got my car back.

At any rate, being on SSDI I have to rely on the roomie to help with fixing it, and he's put his foot down about putting any more money into it so I'm looking at a newer Celica now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it will feel that way if your losing a cylinder, or its shorting out
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

@littlemustard666 - nice user name first. Honestly, as old as it is and as many miles, and not knowing how it was driven while that piece of garbage had my car ... it could literally be anything. Tire shop said it was fine, my regular mechanic says front end, I don't have a lot of options as to places to take it.

I went car shopping with the roomie today. I looked at five Celicas in my state. We covered a lot of miles, lol. I wound up buying a 2001 GT-S with 123,335 miles. 6-speed. If I can get 100k out of it, and I don't see why not since I do take good care of my car, that's all I need.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page