User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 1991 GT convertible reborn @ 139k miles

Hello! I bought a car with almost 139k miles. I am giving this to my 16 yo teenager as his first practice car. For the meantime, I'll try to enjoy it until I hand him over the key. The car is stock. The only mod is the stereo. The last owner did a DIY and did not hook up the (upper- sill?)speakers and rear speakers correctly.
The aftermarket stereo doesn't have bluetooth so I bought an FM transmitter adapter kit with hands free calling. It's awesome! I can stream music and make phone calls. It automatically connects to my phone so i dont have to turn it on/off.
Back to the car itself- for its age, ill give it a 7/10. I drove it home for almost 2.5 hours after the purchase. No major issues so far. AC works, top is okay and does not need replacing, 2.5 yo tires still have good tread left. So, overall I think, and so as my mechanic, it's a good buy.
I'm pretty sure I'd be tackling minor problems/ projects and it looks like this forum would be of great help.
Future projects:
Back up camera
Bigger battery
Fix map light (not turning on when door is open)
Replace/fix passenger side sunvisor
Tighten rear spoiler
Replace headlamp assy with aftermarket LED
Replace fog light bulbs with LED bulbs

Next year??:
Replace struts( $500 parts labor..ouch!)
Have driverside fender painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190430_175502_1556688179645.jpg (128.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190430_175602_1556688209435.jpg (64.8 KB, 6 views)

1991 GT Convertible
reborn 139k 04/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Congrats, but you may have a tough time handing over the keys! I have a '93 convertible daily driver. Look for spare front hubs -- when the front wheel bearing went out on mine at about 140K miles, the mechanic ruined 2 hubs successively pressing the bearings out by not supporting the hub correctly. Front hubs are very rare. Also the trunk lid hinges and their attachment points are flimsy. Other than that, the car is a delight to drive and maintain.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM

I'm new here and this is my first post. I just picked up a '92 GT convertible myself. $450 with a blown engine (although I have yet to confirm that myself). 259k miles but sure don't look like it. The only thing wrong with the body is what kder mentioned about the trunk lid hinges. They are locked up and it looks like someone tried to force it open and then closed. Messed up the trunk lid a bit so I'm going to look for another. The top MAY be a year old. Tires look to be around 75% left. It looks like someone took really good care of it. That's the only reason I bit the bullet and bought. I have a 94 GT hatchback also that is my daily. 267K and still going strong. I'll try to get some pics soon and post.

A question about the hubs that kder mentioned: Will hubs from a 1990 GTS work on a 92? I know where there is a parts car and I could get the hubs cheap. I'll do research also and post what I find.

...oh and another question: will the trunklid from a hardtop work on the convertible? I'm researching that also

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the heads up, guys. How will I know if the trunk struts are worn out and need replacing? Mine does not close on it's own. I can leave it open half way or 3/4 and it does not shut on ts own, which i think is fine. On another note, It seemed like the previous owner was using the spoiler to open the trunk. There's actually no "handle" for it. Now the spoiler is a lil bit loose. How do I tighten it? The screw on each end of the spoiler are already tight. And there is no space to access spoiler hardware underneath the trunk lid.Or should I just glue it (base) back like the last owner did?

1991 GT Convertible
reborn 139k 04/2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page