User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Overheating Issue - 1.6L Engine

I have a 1991 Toyota Celica ST with a 1.6L engine. I recently replaced the water pump (because it failed) as well as the radiator (it leaked). However, after that I have had nothing but issues with overheating since then, and I need help in figure it out. Trying to find manuals online is far harder than I thought it would be. Here are the symptoms:

Each morning I have a commute of about 30 miles. For the first 3 miles, I drive 35-45. Then for the next 5 miles I drive 60 to 65 until I reach time. Temperature during this time is normal. I slow down to 25 mph through a town for about 5 miles, then speed back up to 60-70 mph for another 18 miles. During this time, the temperature gauge slowly creeps up.. even with the heater on and settles at about 80% max temp. The temperature drops dramatically if I slow down to 50 mphs, and then goes back down to normal in 25-35 mph driving. On the way home, the same cycle repeats, but much quicker.

Here is what I have done so far, not in order:

Replaced the radiator three times:
- First Radiator had a major coolant leak right out of the box.
- Second radiator appeared to be working, then considering the previous radiator, the ongoing overheating issue made me think it had a blockage.
- Third replacement radiator acts like the second.

Replaced the thermostat three times:
- All three appeared to be fine, but I replaced them anyways because it could have been it.

Replaced the original water pump.

Flushed out coolant at least a dozen times, and there are no leaks currently.

Hosed down the air conditioner radiator.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Ideas:

- does the heater work? If yes, then pump is working
- radiator fan working? Disconnect the temp sensor at the bottom and the fan should come on
- the temp sensor for guage for the dash is different than the temp sensor for the radiator fan. May need a new radiator sensor. With car in idle, compare when the fan comes on to the dash gauge.
- correct thermostat? It should open at 180
- try disconnecting the outlet pipe and see if anything is clogged in the head
- may need a flush with some chemicals to clear out the passageways around the block
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, heater works great.. in fact, it's probably the only thing that kept it from not going into the red. I have disconnected the fan from the radiator sensor, so it runs continuously, and I replaced the motor just to be sure. I also replaced both the temperature sensor that leads to the dashboard, and the temperature sensor that leads to the computer. All the thermostats I purchased were 180 degree versions.

I have not done the disconnect of the outlet pipe, nor have I done the flush. I will try both of those.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Almost sounds like a head gasket it could be over pressurizing the coolant system and damaging the radiator in turn discharging coolant out and causing it to over heat
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If a blown HG, then you would lose coolant.

The heater circuit bypasses the engine. You could try capping the heater pipe (and at the water outlet) to force flow thru the engine. If capping, check the top radiator hose for heat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page