Toyota Celica Forum banner

lateral control Rod on 77 Celica

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Doug Stanton 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had to replace the bushing on the rear lateral control rod. One end came off (axle connection) easy and the one attached to the frame could not be removed without bending the housing. The bolt thru the end of the rod has the sleeve of the bushing basically bonded to the bolt? I got the rod off after bending the framework but the bushing is locked onto the bolt. I've clamped on to the bushing but can't unscrew the bolt without the bushing spinning with the bolt. Any suggestions? I'll try heating the bushing tomorrow and see if that works, otherwise I'll need to torch it off.
Also, any suggestions on where to get new bushings. Everything online I see uses different names so not sure if they are correct. None of them use the term lateral control arm which is how it's reference in my Haynes manual.
Thanks for any insight!

#2 ·
Not sure I explained that well without photos but I eventually got it off via heating with a torch. Ordered new bushings for each end of the rod and couldn't really find the same bushings for the end that connects to the axle. The other end I had to use a bushing pusher tool to remove and replace the old one which painful but eventually got it done. I found some that looked similar although there was 4 bushings and a sleeve in the kit and the connection only has 2 bushings (which was my clue that they were not correct) but it was the closest to the shape that looked right. I had to grind down 2 of the bushings to the proper height and had to reuse the steel sleeve from the original connection as the one supplied was also the incorrect size. So I'll use the original sleeve and repaint everything and reinstall. Hopefully this helps someone else if they ever decide to replace the bushings. Mine looked pretty cracked up from what was visible, but probably would have been OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.