Toyota Celica Forum banner

New to the forum

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Doug Stanton 
#1 ·
Back in high school (1987) I bought a 1976 ST for $400. It was decent but needed some spray paint, speakers, etc. Of course, I wrecked it, and have been looking for one ever since until yesterday. I drove to GA (from SC) and brought back a 1976 ST with only 42k miles. It has been in a garage since 1994, and it is in Very good condition. The lady actually had the original sales info from the dealer. It is not running b/c of the rust in the tank, etc, but I guess my questions are: 1. Should I get a new tank or clean the one that is there. 2. Should I put a new carburetor on it or rebuild the original? I will drain/replace fluids, change the belt and plugs/wires. Anything else before I try to crank it? Thanks

#3 ·
How do you know there's rust in the tank? You can drop the tank and get someone else to refurbish it. Or you can fill it with fresh gas, pour seafoam, start and smoke that puppy out. May take a couple treatments but you'll never know. Otherwise getting a new tank may be safest bet but don't know how the fuel lines are if the tank itself is rusted.

#4 ·
Probably pretty late replying to this but my 77 GT liftback was sitting for almost 20 years and I'm just now getting on it to put it back on the road. My tank had gelled up pretty bad so I pulled the tank and had it professionally done at a radiator shop as I'd not recommend this as a DIY item. I seriously doubt you'll find a new tank other than maybe a used one and that could be just as bad. My tank had about 1/2" thick gunk like molasses in it. The tank has many baffles in it too so pretty impossible to clean out with any kind of cleaner. The shop cut 3 holes in the top for access and boiled it, chemical dipped it twice, then sandblasted the interior and coated the interior. Painted the finished product and it looks great. Cost was $375 fyi.
My original carb was replaced 20+ years ago by my neighbor that was a Toyota mechanic as the original one had a hairline crack it it (?). If you have to rebuild or replace, personally I think I'd replace it as I've seen others that have put new ones on so I'm guessing they might boost performance over the original but I don't have personal experience as mine works fine. I want to boost the performance a little as I always thought it would have been better with a bit more power. I plan to explore this forum to see what others suggest as I'm thinking a header and new exhaust and an upgraded air intake system which shouldn't cost a lot. Mine is basically all original except a different radio and aftermarket wheels and I've owned it since 1978.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.