Really struggling with my 20R and was hoping someone might be able to help.
I have a 1980 Celica GT with 168k miles, I'm the third owner and have all the repair receipts (if those might be helpful).
- Starts up on the first turn occasionally, other times needs pedal assistance, idles great with a sputter very rarely
- The gas mileage was not great when I first bought the car, about 13 mpg.
- When I start the car it takes approx 3 min to warm up enough to drive (prepared to deal with this)
- Before a 5 min warm-up the acceleration on a scale of 1-10 is a 1
- After driving for about 5 minutes (after warm-up) the acceleration is still very boggy and there's a good amount of shudder (whole car shakes) when leaving a complete stop. Acceleration at this point a 3
- When I get into 2nd or 3rd gear, the acceleration is much more responsive but there is still an odd "budder" noise in the drive train somewhere. Acceleration at this point is a 5
- At times I was getting less than 10mpg until I leaned out the carb (it's back to 13mpg roughly). Adjustment screw is now approx. 1 1/2 turns out from closed
- On attempting to get the smog passed the gas mix was read at 4% and after replacing the carb it was down to approx. 1.3%
- When I park the car there is a mild hot smell that doesn't seem to come from under the hood
-- Trans fluid is bright red, v clean
-- Just had oil change
Very recently replaced parts:
Carburetor (aftermarket I think)
Spark Plug Wires
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit handy with cars and can't really afford a mechanic right now. Love the car and want it to not be sick anymore