LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Trans. Fluid Change / Drop & Clean Pan?

Greetings Celi-Cats...

Days away from the end of a 3 1/2 year long resurrection of my Gen 5 '92 Celica Convertible...what a long strange trip it's been, indeed. Purchased in September 2015, it sat in a garage for eleven years prior to that. After a new fuel pump, relay, and of course fresh oil...engine runs super strong. Had to replace all calipers and rotors, all fuel and rear brake lines. Dropped and cleaned tank, new parking brake cables, new radiator. I now have more familiarity with the belly of this beast than I ever anticipated or hope to have to endure again. Super stoked to take that first spin around the block...

Before I get the wheels back on the ground I also intend to drain and replace the tranny fluid...so what I'm wondering is this; is there anything worthwhile I can do with the pan off that would justify the time and price of a new gasket?...any screens or filters in there, or potential muck settled on the bottom? Car has 150K on the clock...I did shift into forward and reverse (and it moved) prior to getting into the brake line nightmare. Fluid is red but not a "pretty, new" red, not brown or ugly...

Any firsthand knowledge / opinions / 2 cents worth much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:00 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Welcome back . .

In general, do NOT use any sort of pressure unit to force fluid through the system.

If the fluid has good color, and there are no issues, you typically don't have to change the fluid unless of course, overheated etc

If there is a filter, the only reason to change it is if it is clogged. If it's clogged, then something is falling apart internally and they would show up as a symptom of some sort.

If you do feel a need to do something, a full fluid change to synthetic can be done. Disconnect the oil cooler hose from its radiator and point to a bucket. Have appropriate amount of new fluid + 2-3 qts on hand and ready to fill. Start car, tranny fluid should pump out soon. Add prescribed amount of new. You should see new fluid being pumped out, shut off car, reconnect hoses. Check volume in bucket and see how much extra over prescribed amount is there. Add this amount from the 2-3 at a. Then follow oem procedure for checking fluid.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great information . .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page