LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cool 2.2 5SGE:done. Help with 2.3L stroker?

Well, the 5SGE build is complete! After many months she is finished. But there's a catch, because the stock computer wouldn't allow the freshly rebuilt motor to rev, the rings are shot. Meaning lots of blow by. Fastforward to now, after my father tinkeed with it by putting the pcv valve in backwards we now have to replace the oil pump gasket set. Ssssoooo she is getting torn down again. But this time, I am grabbing the 1992 5SFE crank and having it offset ground at the connecting rod journals to fit the 3sge rods,to get to 95mm of stroke (no its not a debate, get out the manual, convert your units, and do some basic geometry, its a 4mm gain.) I have been in contact with ATS racing and they are going to make the pistons with the right valve reliefs, quench zones and compression height to make this thing a work of art. My question is this, Moving from 91mm of stroke to 95, and a factory bore of 87 to 88, what sort of torque gains could be realized? Compression estimates are around 10:1 with the current build (.5mm oversized pistons, 1mm off the head, and .5mm shave on the block). Also, I realize that the internals are under more stress, but certainly not under as much stress as a boosted motor. Is there any reason I couldn't grab a used set of the right 3SGTE rods for the build? Or would it really be worth it to grab new set of eagles? Thanks for the info!!! EDUCATE ME PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Lastly, I appreciate any input but save the comments about rod ratios to yourselves please. I am aware I could have dropped a 3SGTE in there, but I didn't want to. Where I live there is no reason to want a high revving motor in a daily driver. So if you want to have fun in the low RPM's, torque is your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Guru

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Possumface

I am interested also to see this. Im getting back into the Celica game as well.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Looking for a 1990 Celica 5 speed with sunroof
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Same here !!!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page