Toyota Celica Forum banner

1980 Celica GT USGP

30K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Josimar Peñaloza 
#1 ·
Here are some pictures of my 1980 Celica GT USGP.

The USGP stands for United States Grand Prix.
This Special Edition was to commemorate Toyota's association with Grand Prix racing in the United States.

This $750.00 option was offered only in 1980.
The option included the following.
On the exterior: a special honeycomb grill
flat black B pillars
special side stripes
mud guards
aluminum alloy wheels
On the interior: ivory vinyl seats with black piping
ivory colored headliner and door panels
black leather wrapped steering wheel
a high performance sound system, which featured
electronic tuner
cassette deck
equalizer/amplifier
and four speakers
last item is a USGP dash plaque.
The USGP came in Red, White or Blue exterior paint. It’s said that there were only 200 of each color made. (this has not been confirmed)

1980 Toyota Celica GT USGP, RA42 376137, April 1980
One time owner:
Current mileage = 129,436.0
Car was driven as a daily drive until 1990 and then removed from the road and put into storage. First four years it was outside but covered. In 1994 it was moved to its current location and put back on the road for about two months. Then it was put back into storage in a garage and covered. In 2002 it was again put on the road for about four months. Then it was put back into storage in a garage and covered. In 2008 it was tagged with antique vehicle tags and is driven once a month in the summer time (and never in wet conditions). It is kept in the garage at all times and covered in the winter. Car is all original and has no body rust. It did have the drivers fender replaced in 1980 due a minor accident. Hood, fender, and drivers door where repainted. The hood is showing signs of fading paint and is in need of repainting again. There are some small parking lot dents on the following, driver’s fender, driver’s door, and right rear panel. The car has had rear louvers added to the rear side windows and rear hatch windows. The louvers where a dealer option at the time. The car also had the steeling changed to power steeling. The dash was changed to the dash from a 1980/1981 Supra. The lower trim between the front and rear wheels was changed to the chrome trim from a Supra. The 20R engine runs good but has had two oil leaks in the 129,436 miles, both times in the timing chain cover. I repaired it both times. There have been two small rust holes in the inter body that I have fixed, one in the inter drivers rear wheel well and the other near the gas pedal floor board.

See less See more
#4 ·
#6 ·
up-date "wheels"

New refinished wheels. I made up my mind and took the spare set of wheels that I had and had them refinished. I cleaned up the center caps, repainted the red on the caps, and had the tires taken off the old rims and put on the refinished ones. Now all I have to do is put them on the car.

This is what was on the car.

This is what the wheels/tires look like now.

#9 ·
Great car,
Had one as a kid.. red color.
Ever decide to give her a new home let me know.
Doug
That is an enthusiast right there, you can tell by the love dripping off his adoption offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.