Toyota Celica Forum - View Single Post - Under Chassi Rust - Typical or Walk Away?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
SilverBurch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Under Chassi Rust - Typical or Walk Away?

Hi all,

Looked at my first 2003 100k mile vvti Celica the other day (post facelift) from a private seller.

The car has no service history at all, but the MOT is near spotless, with no advisories for years.

Apart from a rattle somewhere in the bonnet (could be heat shield) and a small bit of paint missing at the rear, the only thing that flagged alarm bells was the entire under chassis of the car was covered in a layer of orange rust (excluding the exhaust pipe). This was looking with a torch, but I couldn't see any holes or areas flaking off, it just seemed to be a colour issue.

My question is, is this completely typical of this model with age and mileage, or is this an exception?

If this is typical, for those with the same issue has this led to welding needing to be performed frequently, or has it been persistent cosmetic only rust?

I plan to get a MOT garage to check over it before purchase, but wanted an additional set of opinions from experts with gen 7 cars, to see what I'd likely be in store for if I went ahead with it.

If this is likely to cause a headache, I'll more than likely walk away.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome