User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Why Do Older Cars Get No Love?

Aside from true car enthusiasts, many folks stray away from buying an older used car. While I understand that buying a used car is a gamble since its maintenance history can not always be determined. There are many conflicting opinions that people give against older cars:

-older cars have less quality
-aren't as stylish
-lack the technological gadgets of newer cars
-aren't reliable
-they make the individual look like they're not doing well for themselves.

I don't want to refute these gripes modern car shoppers have just yet. I want to get other people's opinions on this. You can add to the list and add other reasons people choose newer cars over older ones.

*This thread is for civil discussion. If you are going to bash or insult someone's opinion, don't bother*

Last edited by Celi0090; 02-15-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Your average Joe smo wants 3 things in a car. Good gas mileage, comfort, and reliability. Older cars, especially American cars, are not going to be as reliable when purchased used just due to the fact that an 01 Celica has 120k miles but a 92 has 300k. The 300k is going to need a lot more replaced in the eye of the average consumer. And yes, the older the car the less comfortable they are.

Take my 4th gen. One of the first things I did was take my 7th gen seats because they are much more comfortable. I also have a very nice radio I have been too lazy to install.

As for the looks of things, some older cars turn way more heads then their newer counterparts and some are just down right old looking. Take a first gen Camry and put it next to a new one and man is the new one sexy in comparison. But if you take a first gen Celica and compare it to a 6th gen, that first gen will break necks lol. And that is going stock vs stock. You take a styled car and it's a world of a difference. When I had my 7th gen I had other 7th gen owners breaking their necks. Heck, even when my front end was destroyed I still got a lot of compliments.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
Your average Joe smo wants 3 things in a car. Good gas mileage, comfort, and reliability. Older cars, especially American cars, are not going to be as reliable when purchased used just due to the fact that an 01 Celica has 120k miles but a 92 has 300k. The 300k is going to need a lot more replaced in the eye of the average consumer. And yes, the older the car the less comfortable they are.

Take my 4th gen. One of the first things I did was take my 7th gen seats because they are much more comfortable. I also have a very nice radio I have been too lazy to install.

As for the looks of things, some older cars turn way more heads then their newer counterparts and some are just down right old looking. Take a first gen Camry and put it next to a new one and man is the new one sexy in comparison. But if you take a first gen Celica and compare it to a 6th gen, that first gen will break necks lol. And that is going stock vs stock. You take a styled car and it's a world of a difference. When I had my 7th gen I had other 7th gen owners breaking their necks. Heck, even when my front end was destroyed I still got a lot of compliments.
Comfort is a subjective matter. If what I read is true, 4th gen interior is very similar to 5th gen interior and I am more comfortable in my 5th gen. Yes, there are some older cars that cannot stand the test of time; but for the most part, lots of them just look more "out there" than the generic design similarities I see today.

I give you the full reason with gas mileage however. We are speaking of vastly different technologies, so yes gas mileage usually goes against an older car. Newer cars(especially the lower tier economy cars) are being designed a little too aggressively for what they are. We'll use the Corolla as an example. Older ones may look pretty dull, but comparing say an AE86 to a modern Corolla, there is no conparison. AE86 looks less appealing to the average Joe, yet can outperform the newer more blander Corolla.

Then again, the newer generation of car owners will usually care less about the hands-on aspect and want their car to go as fast as they can while having 35+ gas mileage. Take an Ecoboost Mustang for example. Never would one imagine a Mustang running on a 4-Cylinder engine, but Ford made it possible by adding a turbo and making it put out power while not hindering gas mileage.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

By comfort I mean actual comfort as in what it feels like to sit down. And 5th gen seats are different then 4th. Most 5th gens have lumbar support, only GTS and Alltrac 4th gens have lumbar. 7th gens have lumbar stock. So much more comfy. Not to mention the fact that 4th gen seats slide back and forth and tilt, 7th gens also raise and lower.

You might want to look up old mustangs lol. There are quite a few 4 cylinders running around.

Also, I would like to point out, on a gas mileage front, that most cars from the 80's have better fuel economy than anything form the 90's to early 2000's with few exceptions. Now they are about on par. In the 80's we had a really huge gas crunch and fuel economy became a huge problem. My 86 GT with the 2se engine got more MPG then my buds second gen Prius and he was pissed. I averaged out to about 42 mpg and he got around 38 mpg.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
By comfort I mean actual comfort as in what it feels like to sit down. And 5th gen seats are different then 4th. Most 5th gens have lumbar support, only GTS and Alltrac 4th gens have lumbar. 7th gens have lumbar stock. So much more comfy. Not to mention the fact that 4th gen seats slide back and forth and tilt, 7th gens also raise and lower.

You might want to look up old mustangs lol. There are quite a few 4 cylinders running around.

Also, I would like to point out, on a gas mileage front, that most cars from the 80's have better fuel economy than anything form the 90's to early 2000's with few exceptions. Now they are about on par. In the 80's we had a really huge gas crunch and fuel economy became a huge problem. My 86 GT with the 2se engine got more MPG then my buds second gen Prius and he was pissed. I averaged out to about 42 mpg and he got around 38 mpg.
I wasn't aware of that. From what an owner of a 4th gen told me, the interiors were almost identical(I guess they weren't). I have the 5th gen ST model and since car-modder folks berate my car usually, I figured it was just spoiled people with all these fancy interiors. Have you driven a 70s car? Pretty darn comfy(depending on the car).

As for gas mileage, I'm not too familiar with 80s cars' gas mileage. It is a shocker that you mention beating a Prius on gas mileage. I hope you can agree that an older Celica has lots of class in it while keeping a great connection with the driver. My view's of a car's worthiness is heavily biased on how easy it is to connect with it.

Some cars are designed to only get you from point A to point B and they lack the connection that links driver with car. That is what I mean when I mention many modern cars lacking personality. Many of them look pretty good, but they are just "meh" in the driving aspect.

Maybe it's just a dying mindset, but I don't like the car doing everything for me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Guru

Don't worry about those new car buyers. Most are making payments.
Just love your (paid for) reliable Toyo.
I dont care much about other's cars. Except for this Toyo forum. I certainly respect other's property but I'm the only one that's kept this one in top mechanical order.
My recent 4 hour road trip up to frozen Big Bear lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celi 858.jpg (157.1 KB, 7 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosti View Post
Don't worry about those new car buyers. Most are making payments.
Just love your (paid for) reliable Toyo.
I dont care much about other's cars. Except for this Toyo forum. I certainly respect other's property but I'm the only one that's kept this one in top mechanical order.
My recent 4 hour road trip up to frozen Big Bear lake.
Oh no, I don't lose sleep over it. It's more than satisfying seeing some people hate your car for "no reason". My decision's are not mandated by another person's opinion. I pose the question because it gets some folks reflective of their experiences. I've mentioned this several times and I'll say it again. Before I bought my 5th gen, the previous owner thought nothing of it. Wanted to junk it because he was inadequate at diagnosing a simple power steering pump problem.

His mark scarred the car as I do have to fix minor problems the car has due to poor maintenance. Some people see cars as "point a to point b" tools while others see more than that. That is why I can appreciate another person's car even if I don't like it. Plus, it's a good form of discussion, ya know?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Nice Celi by the way, I'm jealous of your convertible top!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Guru

I live in L.A. so I get the "Hate" look a lot. It has to be new here, or it better be a turbo or something exotic like that.
I am happy with just a car that works day to day, with no issues, and if there is an issue it's cheap to fix.
I left that L.A. image mentality behind years and years ago. I got nuth'n to complain about. I'm a happy crapper.
Someday I will likely buy a 7th gen. I really like those lines on your coupe'
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Guru

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosti View Post
I live in L.A. so I get the "Hate" look a lot. It has to be new here, or it better be a turbo or something exotic like that.
I am happy with just a car that works day to day, with no issues, and if there is an issue it's cheap to fix.
I left that L.A. image mentality behind years and years ago. I got nuth'n to complain about. I'm a happy crapper.
Someday I will likely buy a 7th gen. I really like those lines on your coupe'
Which coupe? My 5th or 7th gen?

I had an FR-S owner stare my 5th gen down. Funny part is he had no rwd driving experience and tailed out on a pretty easy curve. Needless to say: An incident of follow-you-up gone wrong.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page