2zz engine problems? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 2zz engine problems?

im looking at getting a celica gts, i know most of the common engine problems with the 1zz but not as familiar with the 2zz problems (if there is any). so what should i look out for and if i purchased a 2zz celica what can i do to prevent them from happening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Guru

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The only thing that I found out about was the oil pump disintegrating. But I guess that doesn't start to happen till you have high miles. I'm told after 150K.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Only years 1999 to 2002 had oil burning issues on the 1zz. Everything else was rock solid. As for the 2zz, the only issue is a very small number of people who have had oil pump issues. It's really a non concern. And it's a simple fix and easy to prevent by keeping up with your maintenance.

I honk at other Celicas on the road.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtherouge View Post
Only years 1999 to 2002 had oil burning issues on the 1zz. Everything else was rock solid. As for the 2zz, the only issue is a very small number of people who have had oil pump issues. It's really a non concern. And it's a simple fix and easy to prevent by keeping up with your maintenance.
yea it sounds like a real strong motor im looking in the range from 100 thousand KM to 200 thousand KM more on the 150k or below hopefully
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Guru

I love my GTS, I t was between that and an Acura RSX Type S, and I'm glad I went with the Toyota, plus my insurance is a little more than $400 a year cheaper than the Acura.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aprilc View Post
I love my GTS, I t was between that and an Acura RSX Type S, and I'm glad I went with the Toyota, plus my insurance is a little more than $400 a year cheaper than the Acura.
oh i believe it haha my friend has an acura rsx type s nice car but the celica just is something you dont see everyday and
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Guru

An honestly, if you get a GTS with the TRD action package, it's gonna have 194hp, which is about the same as what the RSX has. I think the Celica might even be lighter.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
An honestly, if you get a GTS with the TRD action package, it's gonna have 194hp, which is about the same as what the RSX has. I think the Celica might even be lighter.
That's not true, All GTS' have 180 hp. All the action package is, is a body kit and some HID's. (I have it too)

The RSX is a faster car, hands down. But Acura isn't Toyota. So you lose the reliability. Not to mention the cabin in the GTS is waaay nicer. So imo the Celica is a better car.

@OP The 2zz engine is bullet proof, there are no flaws with it. the 1zz had issues with oil back in 00-02 (like fox said). You buy a GTS then you're fine. or if you buy a GT 03+ then you're fine.

***TRD CELICA 03 GT-S***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Guru

Quote:
The only thing that I found out about was the oil pump disintegrating. But I guess that doesn't start to happen till you have high miles. I'm told after 150K.
This is not true.

As for the TRD package, it's just a body kit. Most of them don't have HID's.

The only downsides of the 2zz are the lift bolts breaking on earlier models and frail valves, but the valves won't become an actual issue unless you mishift.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Guru

Actually, accordingly yo Toyota, their action package adds 14 extra HP. I asked them my self on this one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page