User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default shift solenoid e

hey,
my 2000 automatic transmission GTS has a engine check light code P0773, for shift solenoid e, as well as 0046 for evap system, and can't pass inspection.

i went to aamco, they did their free multi point inspection, and found that the fluid smells burnt. i asked if it was because the last fluid flush was at 66,400 miles, and was supposed to happen again at 96,400 miles, but i didn't get it done and it's at 108,000 miles now. he said no, it wouldn't be burnt unless there's a mechanical issue, such as metal on metal friction.

so it'll cost $1600 labor to open it up and fix what's wrong, but how much for the parts that need replacing can't be estimated until they open it up and see…

what i'm wondering is,

1) would it be possible that since i exclusively use the manual mode on the automatic transmission, and change gears as soon as possible, that that causes gears to grind?

2) any idea from my description what the total cost would be? i think it could go up to $3000.

3) also wanted to see what the likelihood of it lasting a few years after being repaired. in the past my father spend $4000 on a transmission on a mazda, and it only lasted 3 years and then failed again.

thanks!

Last edited by allenkey; 11-13-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling correction and to add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Oh god, so much of this post makes me sick to my stomach...

You need to understand one thing, These shops that give out these "free" inspections are really just trying to find any problem... any minor problem they can (in some cases even create problems!) Just to have your business..

Your car 108,000 miles... Seriously? That is so low! Listen to me, your transmission is fine. My fluid is burnt too! Is your car shifting fine? If so, then don't worry about it! If it is shifting funny then go ahead and do a drain and fill (drain out the fluid and replenish it with new fluid, there is so many tutorials on how to do this on the internet). Also IF you do decide to do a drain and fill make sure you add a bottle of lucas transmission fixer, look it up on amazon it has flawless reviews from people like you and me..

Mechanics are dishonest and I hate them because of that. Your transmission seems fine, don't go wasting $1600. Buy yourself $1600 one dollar scratch tickets or something, buy christmas gifts, take a trip to the carribbean, anything besides handing it over to some scumbag mechanic to "fix" a properly working car.

I hope this helped, good luck my friend. And be very careful out there.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 AM

(Thread Starter)

interesting.
one thing my transmission is not doing is the manual mode doesn't work anymore, and the M in the dash board blinks when in M mode.

another problem is that it can't pass inspection, a fluid change was actually just done, and it still can't pass...
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenkey View Post
interesting.
one thing my transmission is not doing is the manual mode doesn't work anymore, and the M in the dash board blinks when in M mode.

another problem is that it can't pass inspection, a fluid change was actually just done, and it still can't pass...
Fluid change was actually done? Huh... that's weird. That should have fixed it... Your best bet would be to actually go around and check out a few different places... make sure the shops have references from multiple people to know they're trust worth...

Is your tranny slipping at all? Or is it just not allowing you in "M" mode?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Guru

$1600 is a joke. You can get a new auto tranny for pennies on the dollar and just swap it over yourself.

Give this a try. Might work, might not. Sometimes it keeps the solenoids from sticking. Put it in reverse, hold the brake pedal to the floor, and floor the gas for a few seconds. Should only rev up to 2500, but keep it there for a couple seconds and repeat this process. Then put it into drive and see if it solved the problem.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM

(Thread Starter)

my mistake, fluid change wasnt done yet.
the aamco guy did say not to just change the fluid at this point, it'll make it worse. idk how that could be but he seemed sincerely concerned.

i will plan on getting another opinion.

i would try the reverse trick, but when the check engine light is cleared, it takes 100 miles of driving before knowing if it will come on again... as 3 different mechanics have said so far (only aamco was a transmission shop so far)

the transmission runs fine. just the manual mode doesn't work, it'll just shift as it does in auto mode, not reacting to the up/down buttons.

will buying a used transmission really end up working out? aren't there compatibility issues?
i saw one at 92k for $900 at auto parts fair or similar site.

thanks
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

04GTS knows what he's talking about.

However, I would NOT recommend buying a new tranny unless you know what you are doing or have someone who does (a friend, relative or shop you're willing to pay). Our Celica's are FWD which is a NIGHTMARE for changing a tranny.

The fluid was never changed? The mechanic who was really concerned has every right to be... some times changing the fluid CAN cause more problems. Its never a Yes or No decision. It is a LOT of variables on whether it should be done or not...

Here, I'm going to give you a link to a product that has worked miracles before (not always but, it's 11 bucks so it's worth a shot!)
Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive

Read the reviews, read all of them if you want. Then tell me if it's worth a try (It "can't hurt!")

I don't think this will turn off your codes though, you'll have to do this then disconnect the battery for half an hour and reconnect it to see if it worked.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Also this "push the brake, then floor the gas" thing seems like a good way to burn out your brakes. I'm not sure this is a great idea. I've never even heard of such a thing, so I could be very wrong. But it just seems like something you may want to think about first lol.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny the hero View Post
Also this "push the brake, then floor the gas" thing seems like a good way to burn out your brakes. I'm not sure this is a great idea. I've never even heard of such a thing, so I could be very wrong. But it just seems like something you may want to think about first lol.
It's such a negligible amount. Plus, the torque converter on the auto tranny won't rev as high as other cars. Not something you should go doing a million times, but a few times in reverse might free it up. The torque on these cars isn't enough to overcome the brakes anyways.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004gts View Post
It's such a negligible amount. Plus, the torque converter on the auto tranny won't rev as high as other cars. Not something you should go doing a million times, but a few times in reverse might free it up. The torque on these cars isn't enough to overcome the brakes anyways.
Yeah, if it can save his transmission. Then it's worth a shot anyway.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page