User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 2001 GT Engine valve adjustment

So I went to my mechanic to inquire about some engine ticking that I hear. The ticks increase with my RPM's, and it will tick regardless of whether the engine is cold or hot, although it is louder when the engine is cold.
He says that the valves are out of adjustment and it is very expensive to fix for this engine. He was hoping this engine had self adjusting valves but he says this engine requires waffers to adjust the valves and that could be the expensive part. His estimate was between $1500 - $1900 depending on how many wafers are needed.
Does anyone here have any experiences with adjusting the valves on the 01 GT? Do they truly need the wafers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Also I asked him if this is just noise or if it could cause my engine to break (all noise is bad noise right?) He said it will not cause my engine to break if I continue as is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Guru

I hate to say it, but that guy might be right that the valves being out of adjustment. but there is no way it would cost that much! I adjusted my valves a few weekends ago, it took me less than 1hr to do for the first time ever. :P if you are wanting to do it yourself. get a service manual. (pdf-town.com) has a free pdf version of the manual, and it will give you a step by step guide on how to test your lifters. I also posted about it here. I talked about what I did to a degree... The total cost I spent on doing it was $40 and about 1-2hrs of my time... that sure as **** beats $1900 any day. :P It's $20 for each lifter to swap out and I replaced two. and you need a feeler-gauge from an autoparts store (advanced auto parts, Autozone, etc). Just gotta be careful about timing when putting it back together. If you live in the VA/MD area I wouldn't mind helping you out. Good luck! I might make a video at some point too on how to do it.

Service Manual Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Celica GT
- Rebuilt my 1zzfe engine
- C56 to C60 Transmission Swap (6spd)
- Clutchmasters Clutch Stage 1
- K&N Short Ram Intake
- Fixed many Odds and Ends throughout the car.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Guru

If it's not that, then it's your timing chain slapping the chain guides. What I did to solve that was back out the auto-tensioner till you hear one click. tighten it back down. It will tighten the chain and it will be quieter. ONLY do one click. you do not want a chain that is super tight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Celica GT
- K&N Short Ram Intake
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info Slaxer! I've been looking for a service manual but haven't been able to find anything yet so this is perfect BUT it says the download is no longer available because it is illegal.
I see your post there and I think it will be a good reference guide for me. I would certainly like to learn to do more car work on my own but sometimes I'm not too sure where to start and I don't want to get into a situation where I mess something up since I rely on my car.
I use to live in MD but i've been in FL for years now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Guru

Darn! That link has been working for a long time! I guess I'll have to find a way to host it on my server... stand by. :P

2000 Celica GT
- K&N Short Ram Intake
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM

My son and I both have Celicas and both have noisy valves. The difference is his is louder and if the tolerances are too far out, then you engine will idle roughly no matter what you do like his. If on the other hand, you engine idles smoothly, don't worry about the noisy lifters. Now if you have a wrist pin or connecting rod knocking, then you have something really to be concerned. However, those have a more lower thunk sound and are local to the lower end, maybe? LOL. Good Luck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page