Toyota Celica Forum banner

GT with a C60 GTS Transmission

15K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  vvt_i-Celica00 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have been searching for a while on the internet on this being done... With no luck of course haha. I did find that people did say that you could put a GTS 6spd C60 Transmission onto a 1ZZFE GT Engine. Well I decided to get ballsy and try it. I ordered it, and put it in last weekend. Other than one solid stud that blocked me from bolting it to the block... Which I pulled out with a flat head screwdriver and vice grips, It did bolt right up!

Why did I do this? Well my old transmission was going bad I couldn't find a used 5spd that was in good shape and had a good price. it's the only car I got, so I needed to do a quick swap and the C60 was cheaper and available... I plan on rebuilding the 5spd C56 transmission and selling it when it's ready. :) I did notice a small speed increase and increase in gas mileage by maybe 3 mpg on highway. It feels great! Now I just need a new shift knob that has 6spd shift info lol. :p

All in all I just wanted to be that guy that says... "Yes it's official, I have done it, and it's quite easy to do and I am very happy with the results!" :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well if I was to swap for a 2zz I would have to do many costly changes... new ECM, etc... haha for an extra "40" horses... meh, I am happy with the 1zzfe. I know it front and back, and I plan on doing some modifications to that soon too. :)

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I rebuilt mine, I initially didn't have the oil burning issue. but I rebuilt mine after I spun a bearing on one of the connecting rods to the drive shaft. So I replaced all pistons, one connecting rod, and the drive shaft on the inside, re-honed the cylinders, flushed and cleaned all the ports and oil reservoirs, had a valve job done on the head. I replaced the oil pump too just in case that failed for some reason. So far, it's been almost 2 years and it's running strong! :)

#11 ·
SO they use the same same mounts too? P.S the flywheel is different. i bought a flywheel for the gts by accident, and it doesnt fit in the c56..but clutch fits!!........only to find out tranny bad. soo..........6 speed it is!.........i jus make sure it fits...but now i know it fits. now i only wanna confirm if i need ot buy extra parts or not. etc

#12 ·
the clutch and flywheel never come off the engine, you take off the 5 speed and bolt up the 6 speed. THATS IT! you dont need a 2ZZ flywheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.