celica P0420 code help! - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

to start off i recently purchased a used 2000 toyota celica. the chassis had 132,700 miles - (136,000 now) and the aftermarket replaced VVT-I engine had about 50,000 miles. the car is a gt however the new engine is the gts 180 hp 1.8 l model. the engine was replaced due to the previous owner seizeing it by not doing regular oil changes, but after the installation of the new motor he claimed the oil was changed on time after such a hefty
expense.

the car ran perfect at first. it vibrated alot idling, however i was told this was only because if the cars very tight suspension.

as time passed i noticed the car began to shake slightly more . almost violently on some occasions. when i took it for an oil change they told me i needed a new belt. got it replaced.

i began to notice my rpms shuddered when first turning on the car. not at all as steady as my moms 2000 camry. also it felt like the pistons were firing off kilter, they werent rhythmic. to help this i decided to start using premium 91 octane gas (yes this is the reccomended fuel type). i had a quarter tank left of regular which was what i was using, said screw it, and told the gas attendant to throw in $20 premium. i pulled out, everything smooth as butter, and then 10 mins later on my way to the freeway to make a 2 hour round trip, i got to a red light and my rpms began fluctuating rapidly like ive never seen. they went from 1400 to 300 in the matter of seconds. back and forth. the car felt slightly more slugglish but not to bad. i stopped turned off the car and drove off again. it seemed fine so i headed on the turn pike. on my way back when i first turned on the car, it idled at 500 rpm but was fine on the turn pike. when i was in my neighborhood on the way back from the turnpike, the CEL turned on.

ever since then the car idles at 1000 to 200. it starts shaking alot.(i filled the tank with premium again. it doesnt idle as rapidly) when i give it gas it drives fine. in park they rpms usually dont sink that low. id say 500 the most. its automatic obviously. the OBD gave a P0420 code. i was thinking the engine damage from the previous owner caused the cat converter to overhead and melt the compounds inside it as a result of the engine seize, but my dad thinks its a bad batch of gas.

i havent cleaned the MAF sensor IAC or throttle body yet. i think its somthing else. im an ammature mechanic but im trying to avoid the shop. i make $7.50 an hour im broke enough. please feel free to give advice id really appreciate it. ill give more info upon request. thanks

i bought it for 5500 i couldnt resist. i love my car besides this issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 AM

prom dresses
Wedding day is definitely a big occasion and the most special one.prom dresses Beautiful wedding photographs are very important to keep the wonderful memory of your wedding. There you will need to know the some wedding photography tips.
wedding dresses
Choosing a bridesmaid is an important thing.Unless you can afford to have everyone one you know,wedding dresses or you only have one friend, this decision can be one of the hradest to make. If youˇŻve been to University you probably have a huge crowd of friends and choosing one that is going to be your right hand lady for the day, without upsetting everyone else is hard.
wedding gowns
It is essential that you hire a professional photographer and give him or her all the details in advance, so that he can plan everything prior to the big day. Generally,wedding gowns brides and grooms do not understand the meaning of good photography. If this is the case, they will fail to get the desired results even when they hire the most expensive photographer of the town. Rather the wedding photographs should be as simple as possible, showing a picture of your perfect marriage ceremony.
wedding dresses
It is not the photographer alone but the bride,wedding dresses groom, all the guests, and the overall decoration of the venue will lead to having great wedding photography. Hence, both the parties, the photographer as well as the couple, are equally responsible for the wedding photographs.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

QUOTE (batmobile00 @ Nov 6 2010, 08:53 PM)
Quote:
to start off i recently purchased a used 2000 toyota celica. the chassis had 132,700 miles - (136,000 now) and the aftermarket replaced VVT-I engine had about 50,000 miles. the car is a gt however the new engine is the gts 180 hp 1.8 l model. the engine was replaced due to the previous owner seizeing it by not doing regular oil changes, but after the installation of the new motor he claimed the oil was changed on time after such a hefty
expense.

the car ran perfect at first. it vibrated alot idling, however i was told this was only because if the cars very tight suspension.

as time passed i noticed the car began to shake slightly more . almost violently on some occasions. when i took it for an oil change they told me i needed a new belt. got it replaced.

i began to notice my rpms shuddered when first turning on the car. not at all as steady as my moms 2000 camry. also it felt like the pistons were firing off kilter, they werent rhythmic. to help this i decided to start using premium 91 octane gas (yes this is the reccomended fuel type). i had a quarter tank left of regular which was what i was using, said screw it, and told the gas attendant to throw in $20 premium. i pulled out, everything smooth as butter, and then 10 mins later on my way to the freeway to make a 2 hour round trip, i got to a red light and my rpms began fluctuating rapidly like ive never seen. they went from 1400 to 300 in the matter of seconds. back and forth. the car felt slightly more slugglish but not to bad. i stopped turned off the car and drove off again. it seemed fine so i headed on the turn pike. on my way back when i first turned on the car, it idled at 500 rpm but was fine on the turn pike. when i was in my neighborhood on the way back from the turnpike, the CEL turned on.

ever since then the car idles at 1000 to 200. it starts shaking alot.(i filled the tank with premium again. it doesnt idle as rapidly) when i give it gas it drives fine. in park they rpms usually dont sink that low. id say 500 the most. its automatic obviously. the OBD gave a P0420 code. i was thinking the engine damage from the previous owner caused the cat converter to overhead and melt the compounds inside it as a result of the engine seize, but my dad thinks its a bad batch of gas.

i havent cleaned the MAF sensor IAC or throttle body yet. i think its somthing else. im an ammature mechanic but im trying to avoid the shop. i make $7.50 an hour im broke enough. please feel free to give advice id really appreciate it. ill give more info upon request. thanks

i bought it for 5500 i couldnt resist. i love my car besides this issue[/B]
My 01 GT does the same thing when i have the clutch pressed in. But my code is P0441, P0442, and P0443. Yes my car has issues. But thats the code for the evaporative emissions system, and it didnt do that until i had my motor replaced. The guy that did it plugged the EVAP system in backwards and i just dont have any idea where the plugs for it are at. So that might be it?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM

My 01 GT does the same thing when i have the clutch pressed in. But my code is P0441, P0442, and P0443. Yes my car has issues. But thats the code for the evaporative emissions system, and it didnt do that until i had my motor replaced. The guy that did it plugged the EVAP system in backwards and i just dont have any idea where the plugs for it are at. So that might be it?
[/QUOTE]

My 02 celica GT has the p0441 from the purge solenoid, i already check the solenoid coming off the intake and it's good so i don't know what to do with mine.

On yours from all the evap codes yes it tells me the lines are all backward i would find a diagram from maybe a Mitchell book, put the lines were they go clear the codes and see what happens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page