Common problems - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hello all! I'm looking at getting a 2000-01 GTS and am wondering what kind of common problems these cars have. I am trying to move away from DSM's (Mitsu eclipse/Eagle Talon for those that don't know) because of the frequency of simple problems (ball joints, bearings, leaks, belts, anything attached to a belt... ) I love the power I can make from them but am tired of regular maintenance. So I'd just like to know what kind of things regularly happen on these cars. Is there any kind of problem that reoccurs after x number of miles after replacing it or is it nothing but one time fixes for a hand full of problems?

Thank you for your time. I've been looking through the forums here and haven't seen too many major issues but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In the forum I went to for my eclipse no one ever talked about these common issues, like the fact that those cars ate ball joints like candy, because they were considered "regular maintenance." So far I like what I see and am anxious to to get myself a GTS.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Guru

I have a 2003 with 80k miles and the only "regular maintenance" I have had to preform is oil changes. I use synthetic and change it about every 7,000 miles. Never had even so much as a lightbulb burn out on me.

Oh, I also have a CAI so I do clean the K&N once a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM

QUOTE (technotitclan @ Jun 19 2010, 06:37 AM)
Quote:
Hello all! I'm looking at getting a 2000-01 GTS and am wondering what kind of common problems these cars have. I am trying to move away from DSM's (Mitsu eclipse/Eagle Talon for those that don't know) because of the frequency of simple problems (ball joints, bearings, leaks, belts, anything attached to a belt... ) I love the power I can make from them but am tired of regular maintenance. So I'd just like to know what kind of things regularly happen on these cars. Is there any kind of problem that reoccurs after x number of miles after replacing it or is it nothing but one time fixes for a hand full of problems?

Thank you for your time. I've been looking through the forums here and haven't seen too many major issues but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In the forum I went to for my eclipse no one ever talked about these common issues, like the fact that those cars ate ball joints like candy, because they were considered "regular maintenance." So far I like what I see and am anxious to to get myself a GTS.

Thanks,
Mike[/B]
I read somewhere there was a little problem with the engine in the 2000-2001, might wanna look into that. THats why im going with a 2002 ha

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

QUOTE (Aaron Mayes @ Nov 17 2010, 09:55 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (technotitclan @ Jun 19 2010, 06:37 AM)
Quote:

Thanks,
Mike[/B]
I read somewhere there was a little problem with the engine in the 2000-2001, might wanna look into that. THats why im going with a 2002 ha
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah the 00-01 GT burns oil haha, learned that the hard way and blew up the motor
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

Got a 2001 GTS. Put new trans in about 120k. (thats when i bought car) got 140k now. trans seems fine. But do have another problem....was told that the 2001s has a ECU Fault. Also when it rains....the doors will not lock if unlocked...and if locked will not unlock...(so if driving in rain be sure to have the doors unlocked. other than that its a great car. My wife drove it for about 20k miles to work. We just had a baby( Nov 4th) and its been parked b/c of hard to get baby in back seat....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 AM

ENGINE SLUGGISHNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it seems like the 2000-01 gts's have this problem, i was actually just reading about it http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/ce...r8290/comments/ so go with a 02-05 cuz i havent heard about engine slugishness with those, but other than that great car i LOVE IT!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 05:54 PM

I have a 2000 celica gts, my locks are going off on there own and my windshield wipers as well, pulled door fuse and wiper fuse, lock relay or w/e switch is continuing to try and lock them, i can't find any loose wires nor any bad grounds. cars battery is dead in the morning so the car wont start so i have to jump it. alternator is new, starter is fine. any advice? also when the signal that one of my doors is open is when my locks keep clicking back and fourth, when there closed it does it once in awhile.

Last edited by Ryan Clark; 01-15-2016 at 05:56 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:18 AM

I have a 2002 GTS auto with 250K miles. Still run perfectly. The engine must have new synthetic oil and filter every 7K to 10K, or it may be damaged. Coolant needs replaced and air bled every 50K miles. Follow the exact procedure posted on the hood or engine may overheat and crack.

Had no problems. Do all maintenance myself, replacing normal wear and tear parts, belts, brakes, tires (at store), oil, transmission fluid, coolant, wiper blades, a few low beam head lights, 2 fog lights, a few brake bulbs.

Did replace the thermostat at about 200K. The rear hatch is very heavy, supported by 2 heavy-duty gas struts (about $400 a pair OEM), but they only last about 2 years of normal use, then become to weak to hold up the hatch. I just use a wood stick to hold the hatch up.

The car still runs perfect with just occasional minor rattling inside the dash board. Something got loose. I dont want to take off the dash just to fix it.

The Celica GTS is a very fine Gran Touring car, stable at high speed, smoothing out bumps on freeway. I usually drive 90 - 100 MPH on freeway. It holds the road much better than the Porsche Carrera or MBZ S600. It's quick and nimble, fun to drive on streets.

Last edited by PETER PAN 2009; 04-08-2016 at 04:23 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_09 GTS View Post
ENGINE SLUGGISHNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it seems like the 2000-01 gts's have this problem, i was actually just reading about it http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/ce...r8290/comments/ so go with a 02-05 cuz i havent heard about engine slugishness with those, but other than that great car i LOVE IT!
That's from a dirty fuel filter.

I have a 2001 GTS, with 220k miles on it.
The engine felt a little sluggish, and the car would idle at really high RPMs, like 2000, or 1500 RPMs, and the car vibrated a lot when stopped at a red light.
But when I changed the fuel filter (which looked like it was never changed ever since the car was first made), and ran the car with 2 full gas tanks filled with fuel system cleaner, the car runs like new now.
The engine now idles at like 500RPMs, and the sluggishness, and vibration is gone.
Other then that, I've never had any problems.

Toyota's are pretty reliable cars....

Last edited by DjSharperimage; 04-14-2016 at 01:36 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 AM
Guru

""The rear hatch is very heavy, supported by 2 heavy-duty gas struts (about $400 a pair OEM)""

Woah what? I think I paid $45 for my trd wing trunk struts and they have a lifetime warrenty.

While I don't have a gts, I never have has problems with my 01 GT other than simply old parts like oem struts needed replaced after being driven 183k miles. There's the oil burning issue but that's 00-02 "GT" only. GTS doesn't have the oil issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page