Cyl 1 and 4 and random multiple misfires - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

ok some months ago i changed the oil on my 2000 celica gt-s and i heard a loud pop under the hood (i think the loud pop might of been my headlight giving out cause it was out later that day had to replace it), the check engine light came on. went down to good ol' autozone had the codes red and it gave me code 100 and 104 cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, and random multiple misfires. replaced the spark plugs, didn't help so i took it down to the dealer and had them check it out and they said cylinder 1 coil pack was arcing out so i replaced it. still having the same problem, check engine been on for about 6 - 8 months now. the only real problem i notice is i hear a little bubbling type sound in my exhaust, i have an aftermarket exhaust so its easier to hear. also when the car is cold it takes a little extra gas pedal pushing to get the car moving. ive ran fuel injector cleaner thru it a few times. car runs fine when its warm but the check engine stays on. ive replaced that one coil pack and all 4 spark plugs, does anyone know about this or have the same problem? im going crazy trying to figure it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

i need to update this i put some wrong information in, im getting check engine codes, PO300 (random multiple cylinder misfire), PO301 (cylinder 1 misfire), PO304 (cylinder 4 misfire)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Tracer @ May 31 2008, 04:19 PM)
Quote:
ok some months ago i changed the oil on my 2000 celica gt-s and i heard a loud pop under the hood (i think the loud pop might of been my headlight giving out cause it was out later that day had to replace it), the check engine light came on. went down to good ol' autozone had the codes red and it gave me code 100 and 104 cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, and random multiple misfires. replaced the spark plugs, didn't help so i took it down to the dealer and had them check it out and they said cylinder 1 coil pack was arcing out so i replaced it. still having the same problem, check engine been on for about 6 - 8 months now. the only real problem i notice is i hear a little bubbling type sound in my exhaust, i have an aftermarket exhaust so its easier to hear. also when the car is cold it takes a little extra gas pedal pushing to get the car moving. ive ran fuel injector cleaner thru it a few times. car runs fine when its warm but the check engine stays on. ive replaced that one coil pack and all 4 spark plugs, does anyone know about this or have the same problem? im going crazy trying to figure it out [/B]
sounds like you have a burnt exhaust valve, but finding which cylinder it is in is gonna be hard without taking the head off, you might be able to take the header off and with a light and look at all the exhaust valves and see which is the most carboned up, and if it is a burnt valve, then you will have to have the head takin off and have the valves replaced and a valve job. hope this helps

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM

to check if you have a bad coil, while the engine is running, unplug each coil pack one at a time then plug it back in to see if the engine starts to stumble, once you found the one that when u unplug it there is no difference in how the engine runs, turn the car off, switch that coil pack with the one beside it and restart the car, then unplug the suspected one again, and if there is still no change when u unplug it then u know its the coil pack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

well ill check those coils first, if they aren't bad ill just pull the head, its easier than trying to remove the exhaust header, because toyota was nice enough to build the header on the backside of the engine in relative terms of looking at the car from the front of the car itself. thanks. ill see what i come up with
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

its seems all of this mess was caused from a faulty maf sensor, i got to thinking i couldn't have a bad valve cause the engine wasn't burning any oil, and i checked all 4 coils with a voltage and ohm meter and they checked out ok, even the old one that toyota said was "Arcing out" was still good. and now 10 headaches and 86 bucks later my car is no longer misfiring and the cel is gone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

I am having the exact same issue P300-304 random misfires for all four cylinders. I had the same headlight problem with the connection burning, and was told to change the spark plugs. Going to try the maf sensor and see if that will do it for me. Thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Old Timer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerxzero View Post
its seems all of this mess was caused from a faulty maf sensor, i got to thinking i couldn't have a bad valve cause the engine wasn't burning any oil, and i checked all 4 coils with a voltage and ohm meter and they checked out ok, even the old one that toyota said was "Arcing out" was still good. and now 10 headaches and 86 bucks later my car is no longer misfiring and the cel is gone.
The "cel" is gone?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny the hero View Post
The "cel" is gone?
If the battery was removed in the process that would explain why the check engine light dissapeared. If a sensor throws a light and is corrected, id think the car would remove that cel itself seeing as its no longer an issue and is reading fine. Now mechanical problem cels are usually the ones that will need manually cancelled. Im new on toyotas though so its a guess, coming from mitsu's but that's how my cpu always ran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plınq ʎɯ ʇno ʞɔəɥɔ

Disclaimer: Don't break your neck while reading this. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Old Timer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Oh lol I thought he was saying "cel" as in celica. Thought he was saying the Celica was gone (sold, parted out, junked, etc.) lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page