Is a Celica a good first car? - Toyota Celica Forum
View Poll Results: Is a celica a good first car?
Yes 20 90.91%
No 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

in a few months, im going to be 16 and my parents are going to buy me a car. I like the Celica but i need to know from people who actualy have had experience.

Also, should get an auto or manual. Someone told me that manual is much more faster. I know that manual is faster but is it much more faster. Also, do they both have the same top speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to CeliGrl

With the celicas manual is way faster than the auto's. It's not like with some american cars where the power is the same. You take a big loss on hp with an auto (especially the gt-s). I've owned both, an auto gt-s and a manual gt-s. DEFINETLY go for the manual, you will thank yourself later

I think it's a good first car. Celica was my second car, first was an Eclipse. Luckily I learned my lessons with the Eclipse and know how to mod my car correctly now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Guru

Send a message via MSN to thezaneshow

celica is my first car.
i drove my moms and dads for 4yrs.
i would go for a manual but auto is good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Old Timer

In my opinion... an auto is good first car for a young person such as yourself who doesn't have as much experience driving.

The manual is MUCH better in terms of performance, since you mention speed. And of course, since you bring speed up, I take it to mean you're going to want to race and that can't be good for a 16 year old kid with a brand spankin' new license. Not that an experienced driver can't have accidents as well...

But if you're planning on having this car for a while, you'll grow into it... Just be careful at first!

Yes they do have the same top speeds... the auto just takes longer to get there.

2001 GT-S Sport Shift - mods in profile

Meryem's (((HUGGY))) copyrighted by Toyotacelicas.com.

|
|
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to CeliGrl

Quote:
Originally posted by Meryem13@Aug 18 2005, 03:08 PM
In my opinion... an auto is good first car for a young person such as yourself who doesn't have as much experience driving.
You are definetly correct there. I'm actually glad I learned the essentials of driving on an auto. Now that I recently learned stick it's much easier.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Guru

Send a message via MSN to thezaneshow

they are talking about me, I LUV MY AUTO

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Old Timer

Eh, I had been driving plenty before I got my celica... I was just too excited to get it and didn't research properly or else I'd have tried to get a stick.

I love my auto too Zane... and I'll love it a LOT more if I get forced induction and don't have to worry about perfect shifting!

2001 GT-S Sport Shift - mods in profile

Meryem's (((HUGGY))) copyrighted by Toyotacelicas.com.

|
|
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Guru

If your responsible, yes. If your a typical 16 year old, no. This other kid I know just got a celica when he turned 16 and wrecked it twice. Once because he drove drunk and the second time because well, hes not the smartest kid. Whatever you decide, good luck!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Kalizo

I go to a college that has a lot of rich SOB's that got mommy and daddy to buy them a lexus or Beamer for they're birthday. Most of them run it in to the ground within a few years because of racing, drinking, or lack of maintenance. I got my sister's old Pontiac 6000LE that used to be my grandmothers when I was 16. I learned how to take care of a car quickly because if I didn't nobody else would and I'd be walking to work. So, no I don't think a Celica is a good first car, not because it's too much to handle, but because you need to learn the basics of car care on a car that really needs it.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Acilec Send a message via MSN to Acilec

Ive had an automatic and a manual as well, (the manuals engine is out) so now I have an auto GT-S, its still extremelly fast, especially with mods. Basically the manual allows you to rev higher when doing an ET race, which means quicker out-of-the-gate acceleration, so performance wise its better yes, its got faster acceleration, a manual will get to the top speed quicker, as you can shift it yourself instead of letting an auto cpu decide when to shift. Thats the difference, it still has the same engine, and the same displacement, I wouldnt mind having both myself, one for racing and one for commuting. Sometimes I wish I had the extra bit of juice but honestly your not losing THAT much hp, and in day to day driving who cares? Your not supposed to be speeding anyway. You dont want to start getting tickets at 16, because your quickly going to deteriorate your license points and thats bad. Besides, once you get a body kit, all it takes it a 50mph run in with a pot hole, youll quickly decide speeding is bad.

It comes down to this, if you plan on racing and doing a considerable amount of performance work to the car for racing purposes and spending alot of money there, than get a manual.

Also, your an inexperienced driver, not your fault its just something you have to practice, you cant just wake up get in a car and drive great. This car is small and nimble and very quick for its size, it also isnt very tough. You dont want to wreck this car trust me, Celicas are like soda cans, then dont do well fighting SUVs, or any bigger luxury cars. They can take a hit, but it just about anhilates everything but the frame. (Ive had my share of incidents, none my fault) Even a truck backing into me out of a driveway utterly obliterated side of my car...So in your case Id suggest either learn how to shift a 6 speed flawlessly, or get the auto.

The automatic wont hinder you any, and is great if your an inner city dweller, trust someone who drives in the city alot, it gets old up and down shifitng every 50 feet at every red light. The auto will also keep you more focussed on your driving, instead of what to do next. Plus, its plenty fast for you (you shouldnt street race anyway, you dont have enough skill and its illegal), so unless your a good shifter whos had lots of practive power shifting and double clutching and what not, youll just be slower on a manual when your at the race track, and then your tiny bit of extra speed is redundant! True race shifing takes lots practice, and even if you perfect it youll only be running 15s and high 14s (with mods).

I myself had a minivan for my first four years of driving, and am thankful, because I learned how to drive very well before getting a really fast, expensive and fairly fragile sports car.

So you can go about this a few ways, learn to drive a stick on a differnt sports car, get an automatic Celica, or get a cheaper car to drive a few years, then when your 18 or so get your celica and youll already be a pretty good driver. Obviously there is the lure of having it now, so I totally understand that part. Im just making you aware of the different peramiters. You could always just get a cheap truck or something and start saving all your money to pour into the Celica when you get it later? You could then get it and do instantanious modifications to it with all the money you saved up.

I hope you dont feel like I was lecturing , I hope at least you consider mine and the others experiences and take heart.

Good Luck whatever you decide

Looks fast? Yes it does friends, thats the point of a bodykit. Thus, I never have to speed! I do it for recreation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page